Show off your apple grafts. Let's see pictures of everyone's apple grafts from this year 2023

Show off your apple grafts 2023
Let’s see pictures of everyone’s apple grafts from this year 2023.

These are 41 days old. I grafted a realy amazing unknown variety I found onto G890 rootstock.

6 Likes

Black Limbertwig on White Winter Pearmain

6 Likes

Looking good hope they take for you

Those limbertwig scions are beefy and the sprouts might be absent the rootstock. We’ll see what happens this summer.

1 Like

Only photo I could find quickly. Esopus Spitz. On Pink Lady.

9 Likes

2023 grafts pic taken couple weeks ago.

12 Likes

late start this year. and only a few done.

Gideon and a lamb abbey on Granny. starting

pink and a limber twig on braeburn. tiny. several didn’t take on other trees.

swaart(something I can’t remember) and the other lamb abbey that seems ok, on a “johnny Appleseed” tree that was floundering last year and is good this year.

only my plum grafts are doing well this year so far. it’s still cool season though so I’ll be patient

5 Likes

These are some apple that I grafted in early April.

5 Likes

Api Etoille:

7 Likes

The top honeycrisp scaffolding died on my multi tree. Here is the regraft on the lower branch. Thanks for all the timing tips NWfruit thread. The back branch is swelling today and looks alive too. Woohoo.

6 Likes

looking good!

2 Likes

awesome! hope they all take for you

1 Like

they look great. How long do you leave growth on the rootstock before removing it?

Some topworked volunteer seedlings. Borer pressure has been high on these, thus the multiple trunks grafted on the clumps. On the other two, I’m hoping to graft in scaffolds rather than start with a new structure. A mix of cleft, whip and tongue, bark and veneer grafts

Varieties are: suncrisp, crimson crisp, crimson topaz, and Hudson’s golden gem

6 Likes

Also did some bench grafting on m26. It’s a nice rootstock for someone like me who decides at a moment’s notice to graft some apples, because it suckers a bit and roots easily from burr knots, so it’s easy to keep around.

All are tasty crabs (Trailman, Kerr, Centennial, Bastian Orange, mystery “Lucky’s favorite”) except a couple of my favorite roadside find, an unusual one that I

call ‘white rustycoat’

6 Likes

If they are twig borers, have you tried control with a commercial pesticide?

Love the night shots. It gives the tree a whole different look.

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah, It is better contrast at night with my bright arse headlamp too. Also happens to be the time I wind up doing most of my grafting. Too much going on in the day between work, kids, etc. I wind up doing a moonlight shift a few nights a week during pruning/grafting/planting season. And again during harvest. Grafting-wise, it’s nice not having to deal with sun and heat drying things out.

2 Likes

I’ll leave the rootstock growth for most of this year, but keep it pinched back. Never let it compete with the leader. I think they feed the root growth and the leader.

2 Likes

IMG_0862
IMG_1004
IMG_1123
Topworking stablished trees. Was not expecting all the grafts to take. Unknown PRI apple from the U of I program (abandoned research farm, trees tore down this spring) onto unknown green apple mature tree (beautiful tree, bad tasting apples). I was very happy with the take rate, and then deer came and “selected” which grafts would go.

6 Likes