Show Off Your Figs and "This year Harvest"

More figs are ripening! What a nice treat. Same tree as the one I posted a few days ago.

8 Likes

Here are some late season Unk. Sorrento figs that have dried on the trees. No rotting, no splitting. Honey dripping.

This is still the first year. Hope they will ripen earlier next year.

3 Likes

My CH Fig has been thru 2 light frosts… many leaves are brown now. But some are still partly green. Figs still on and ripening… slowly.

We picked one last night and it still tasted very good…

5 Likes

Craven’s craving. Survived two heavy rains and a bit of cold and showed no signs of spoilage.

9 Likes

Some recent harvest. There is no other fruit I can harvest this late that’s this sweet and tasty. And they’ve been like this since June. I even had caprified figs in July and August in Texas. Probably the only ones in Texas.

18 Likes

Persimmons? I hear many American persimmons have rum, raisin and butterscotch notes. I haven’t tasted any yet. The Asian persimmons I’ve tried are great but not so complex. Hachiya has notes of cinnamon, coffee cake even stronger but I do look forward to them in the fall.

2 Likes

I think you are talking about those Japanese persimmons, to be specific. I’m never a fan of those non-astringent Japanese persimmons.

Most of the Chinese persimmons are astringent type. The flavors are much more complex, much sweeter and tasty. You’ll need to wait for them to fully ripen.

I have one fig almost ripe… will pick tomorrow. Several more still on… some ripening…

Noticed today… many leaves dropped. Hate to see the figs go.

1 Like

My fig harvest is wrapping up now. I’m not sure if the remaining fruit will ripen but these were surprisingly good.

6 Likes

I don’t know the difference between Japanese and Chinese persimmons, but I’ve tried Hachiya which is an astringent and sold here as an Asian persimmon. I wouldn’t call it’s flavor complex but definitely different from the non-astringent Fuyu (Jiro) even when fully ripe. Just to clear, I do like both Fuyu and Hachiya.

1 Like

The fig that looked almost ready yesterday… was hanging straight down this morning and shriveled up some.

Picked it. My daughter I’s home this weekend will let her try it out. Ripening in colder weather changes a bit…

I have 6 others near ripe… and some low 30’s in the forecast…

2 Likes

For those of you who keep figs in containers, do you prune them before you put them away for the year or later, like January or February? I usually wait, but this year I have more plants and it is really hard to get to them when they are all jammed in there. So I was thinking I would prune after all the leaves have dropped and I’m ready to cram them all into the garage. Any downside to late fall pruning as long as the leaves are gone?

2 Likes

Thats exactly what I am doing.

None

2 Likes

Figs are slowly ripening. Grows light really help. These are so delicious!

6 Likes

Still getting few CH Figs here in TN.
Cool weather ripening… SLOWLY…

TNHunter

4 Likes

A few more CH Figs harvested this eve.

5 Likes

This was a surprise to me when I went out to check my figs yesterday.
Black Madeira KK it is 80% of taste vise as compare to fully summer ripe fig. Excellent top notch fig but need lot of heat.

12 Likes

@Naeem … that looks so good…

My CH Figs are giving us less flavor ripening in this cool weather… 60 % of peak or so… but I still appreciate each one.

1 Like

I use late season figs for jams. Not super quality. Some split…

We hit 31 this morning … our hardest frost yet. Very few leaves left on my CHF… but several figs still hanging on.

Do you all know what low temp normally makes them unusable ?