Show Off Your Figs and "This year Harvest"

I have not tried Black Mission before, but from my readings it seems a mediocre variety (taste wise). From your profile, I see you have Hardy Chicago, Sal’s and RDB, these are very good to excellent, wait till you try them to know what high quality figs are.

Well… Sal’s actually didn’t make it, fungus gnats took it out. But a generous member (really multiple generous members) set me up with a bunch of other good ones like Trabia, Unk. Abington, Smith, Improved Celeste, Salem Dark and a few others that I should be able to taste this year.

I bought Black Mission because it was cheap and already rooted prior to extensive reading, along with Atreano.

2 Likes

Harry’s Crete. My favorite fig of the year so far

10 Likes

We’ve had three weeks of non stop rain and clouds. Very unusual here. In fact the worst fig weather I’ve had in 18 years of growing them. My new top fig is Ondata. It handles this weather better than anything else I’ve got. It’s productive, precocious, big, beautiful, and very tasty.

11 Likes

Ondata, what other fig would you compare it to eith sweetness, taste. Texture and ripening time?

I’d say it’s mid season ripening. The taste isn’t quite on par with Black Madeira. But it’s earlier and more productive. The texture is more juicy than BM. Taste is probably more like Bourjasotte Grise but Ondata is again more productive.

6 Likes

It is mid-season then I may have to root this one. All your fault Fruitnut for mentioned it!!!

1 Like

I’ve got a lot of great new figs: Black Mazanita, Cosme Manyo, NSDC, Joualle Amber, Boysenberry Blush, DSJG, Labritja, Cipolla, Sicilian 33, Montanha Verde, Figo Roxo, and Cessac but so far I like Ondata best.

4 Likes

Yours is the sole post about Ondata, so keep us updated!

Oh my !!!

19 this evening from my (single) CH Fig.

RECORD officially shattered.

8 Likes

9 Likes

Looking forward to future reviews of these varieties. I know Pete from FigLife is also a big fan of Ondata.

Would you agree with ramv that IC is inferior in taste to C? I’ve never read that there’s any difference in taste before.

What’s in the plate with the figs?

It is my Carolina Gold peach tart.

5 Likes

I moved on from that stage just enjoying figs does not matter which one is it. There are so many variants out there you can not pin point at it. I used to have +150 varieties lost a lot and given a lot too. I do not have time to manage all these so will grow few and have fun.

4 Likes

Figs are keep coming and very good quality due to dry hot weather. These are not all I harvested just showing some.

12 Likes

Im glad you could enjoy so many figs. For me, I can only grow a handful, so that’s why Im trying to determine whether I should get IC or just C.

1 Like

If I have to pick one I will go with IC. But make sure to get from trusted seller who own both and give you the true one.

1 Like

Just in case you are considering growing it in a container instead of inground, Celeste regularly dropped 75% of its figs for me growing in a 20-gallon root pouch. After a few years I gave up and got an Improved Celeste instead which so far seems better at holding figs. I haven’t had the dropping issue with any other varieties.

4 Likes