Show off your fruit tree seedlings 2021

American persimmon twins? :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

I haven’t had the time to update this thread with my planted seedlings, but I wanted to share a wild seedling apple tree growing on my field edge.

I have done absolutely nothing to this tree other than open it up to some light this year (it was growing 40ft into the grown up field edge which I reclaimed/cleared in July).

It is a very vigorous grower, with fairly large leaves that have stayed fairly clean of diseases (considering). It put on a massive crop this year (just like most wild trees in my area) and like I said I did not thin or touch the tree in any way. What resulted were some pretty awesome looking apples. Some got huge!

Here is one on the tree:

A few more shots off the tree:

Not all were that big and some got a splash of russeting around the stem as shown here:

As far as flavor it is acceptable. It has reasonably firm flesh that has a very mellow basic sweet flavor, my pallet could detect no acid (which I personally prefer some for fresh eating) and nothing notable tannin wise. Some of them reminded me of a basic “yellow apple” flavor…like a banana thing going on sometimes.

I already grafted this tree into my orchard this spring to test it further in better growing conditions. I also planted a few seeds last spring and used them as rootstock. They have proved every bit as vigorous as the mother tree putting on 4- 5ft of growth this summer!

I picked a 5 gallon pail of apples off of it last weekend and my wife made some pretty tasty apple butter out of them.

Overall a pretty neat find.

7 Likes

Sounds like a
‘winner’…
congrats!

2 Likes