Shrubs and grasses/flowers for around a pond?

I recently had a bunch of trees and shrubs cleared around my pond and I want to replace them with some (mostly) native shrubs, grasses and flowers that will attract birds and butterflies, etc but don’t know where to start.

Does anyone know of a good website or seed/plant seller that would cover this? I’m in the Mid-Atlantic at the northern end of the Shenandoah Valley/Blue Ridge Mountains and would like to plan native plants but will waiver if there’s something that will be beneficial for wildlife. I have a pretty big area to cover so I’m thinking a lot of the area will have to be covered by seed and not plants.

If anyone has any tips or advice, I’d love to hear them. I don’t know where to start other than using the Google, but there has to be a better way!!! :wink:

Thanks!
Bart

I’m going to assume you’re talking about a large earthen bottom pond…and if it has fish they are bluegill and bass and not Koi and goldfish?

Native willows/black willow, elderberry, serviceberry, pawpaw, spicebush, deciduous holly, are some multi-purpose trees or shrubs to consider, including excellent for wildlife.

Native grasses…try Ernst seeds (PA i think) or Eden Bros (Fletcher,Hendersonville, NC)

Thanks BlueBerry!

Yes, it’s a large hole in the ground!! Here a pic of part of it. I’m trying to deal with the stuff in the foreground and the bank across the water.

3 Likes

@Bart, I’m so jealous! Its gorgeous. I have always wanted a pond. I have a resource from my master gardener class. This booklet was a well sought after resource for our team and includes plants specifically for Virginia and the chesapeake bay watershed. I will attach the plant list for wet meadows, freshwater wetlands, and bog gardens. The pages have pics of the plant, characteristics, conditions, habitat, wildlife, etc. Its available on Amazon. I would be happy to send you any particulars on a plant.

Added note: My internet is so crappy, its going to take it a while to download a couple of small documents. Check back at the end of the day–sorry!

Native%20Plants%20in%20Virginia

2 Likes

Cup Plant (Silphium perfoliatum)

I like that website (Missouri Wildflowers) linked above. I absolutely love cup plant. I come across it around here where it grows in ditches.

4 Likes

If you’re worried about erosion, might do some annyal rye grass as a nurse plant while other seeds get established.

1 Like

May I suggest Broomsedge Bluestem? It is a mid hip high grass that loves aquatic areas, and have white seed tuffs in the fall, reddish dead foliage in the winter.

2 Likes

Water cress and rice are possible.

2 Likes

Im sorry i didnt notice where you are but ive had some real good success with Lantana here. There are many many types and colors and I’ve never seen anything so loved by butterflies! Mine grow big as well. They will love on that bank.

1 Like

If you want to add native flowers for the pollinators, then check out Prairie Moon Nursery. I just received my order a couple of days ago. They have very high ratings on Garden Watchdog, and they were also recommended by “Crime Pays But Botany Doesn’t” on YouTube (check him out if you aren’t familiar).

https://www.prairiemoon.com/

4 Likes

Are deer an issue there? You might look for more resistant natives. Itea virginica is a suckering native shrub that will like being near a pond in addition to those mentioned above.

1 Like

Here’s an interesting website that catalogs native plants by State and region:
http://www.plantnative.org/rpl-mdvawv.htm

The site isn’t terribly specific about different areas, but here’s a good list of natives from the Shenandoah Valley itself:

Some other links:

https://www.sevenbends.org/native-plants

I just ripped out my front yard and put in mostly local native plants (and a few succulents for the wife and a fig for me!) so I feel your need for some good resources, they can be hard to find!

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip on that book!! I was able to download it from here:

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions!! Who wants to help me plant?!?!!?

3 Likes

Second on the spicebush.
Native, water-loving shrub that birds love, and it’s a host for spicebush swallowtail butterfly.
The berries make a phenomenal spice for humans.

3 Likes

Great! Thanks @Bart

1 Like

It’s generally not recommended to plant woody shrubs or trees on a pond dam.
As the roots decay , as they will. They can create channels for water to follow.resulting in expensive leaks.
On none dam slopes , native soil side , this may not be such a problem ?

1 Like

True, perhaps, but likely in the lifetime of the NExT owner.

I’m inclined to agree with @Hillbillyhort on this one. As I deal with shortsighted decisions from previous owners of this house, I can appreciate thinking about who’s coming next and not leaving messes for them.

@Bart I second Prairie Moon. Great quality seeds and they give you the info you need to succeed. The NH State Nursery has a wetlands package of native shrubs that could work for you. You could also consider Lobelia cardinalis (cardinal flower) for part shade areas.

1 Like

Perhaps ?
Maybe I just lived too long.?
Or built my pond too soon ?
My pond , I built 34 yrs ago.
Could not help myself , but to plant fruit trees around it.
The fog off the pond has prevented frost on those trees over the years.
Some trees have died. Over the years , roots have rotted , water followed .
I knew it was not good to plant them there.
Just could not help myself.
This year, a major leak !
Several thousand dollers , months of work, months without water.
I reworked my pond this year.
Will I plant trees around it this time .?
Hummm.
Hard call.
“It “might out live me this time ? …?

4 Likes