Siam Jumbo mulberry: cutting to huge fruit in 5 months

I hope these Siam Jumbo mulberries taste half as good as they look. This little tree was an unrooted stick five months ago. Now it has mulberries as big as 2.5 x 0.75 inch. So far just a mildly sweet taste. If I could dry the tree out a bit they should be sweeter. On a mature tree they should be sweeter. In FL they are reported to have a sweet/tart taste, just what I’d hope for.

My issue growing mulberries is they freeze outside and grow rampantly in the greenhouse. I may need to try both potted and in-ground in the GH.

17 Likes

Rapid growth in temperate conditions is par for the course with Morus. But this one also has issues with cold hardiness?

1 Like

I don’t know how cold hardy it is. Probably not very. And we have too many spring freezes. In Vista it would probably work well.

Oh no doubt. It appears to be an M. macroura cultivar.

2 Likes

Those look cool, any sources for wood?

2 Likes

Jan on figbid sells cuttings of this variety when she has them.

3 Likes

Thanks cool. I will keep with my figs. Black Prince is another I want to try. I have Oscar growing outside here. And others in containers. Thanks for showing these.

1 Like

Hi Fruitnut,
What process did you use to grow from cuttings? Nice looking fruits
Please advise
Dennis

1 Like

I rooted the cutting in Pro mix hp just like I do fig cuttings. Then soon up potted to a 3 gal where it is now.

After all, they are both Moraceae.

2 Likes

Curious if you were able to keep them growing outside in your zone or if you have to keep them in the greenhouse? Also has the flavor improved since your original post? Seems like this one has huge potential!

1 Like

Most mulberries here freeze back outside in winter and in spring. They leaf out too early. So, I’m only growing Siam Jumbo in the greenhouse. So far the fruit has been decent but not great. I don’t know if I can do better. But I’m still trying.

3 Likes