Siberian C as Rootstock and Fruit

My Contender has survived -32 here with a little dieback. Unfortunately no fruit yet though.

1 Like

thats good news! how old is it? from what ive read the younger the tree the more chance for damage. mines a 6ft. 1.5in caliper.

It’s about 4 years old now, I got it as a bare root whip. I had a young Veteran that was supposed to be hardier, but that one froze to the snow line.

1 Like

seems like all the peaches rated to z4 arent really so. maybe just market hype but some of the nurseries that usually are conservative on zone estimates are also saying z4. time will tell. mines in a spot protected from the N.W wind so hopefully it makes it.

I’ve tried planting a number of peach trees over the years, but they all winter-killed the first winter. Plant something else!

1 Like

Well, actually the Siberian-c keeps resprouting, so is still alive.

1 Like

well if it does ill do like the guy in the above vid. did. Russians been do this also. i dont need alot of peaches but some peaches would be great.

I went off on this tangent one winter. There’s quite a few videos of Russian protection methods on YouTube. The catch is that you need to search them in Russian.

1 Like

I’m interested in these potentially for juicing and because Black Creek Farm & Nursery is able to grow these without spray probably in part due to curl resistance. If all my expectations crumble I can graft it over

1 Like