Signs of Incipient Spring: 2022

First crocus opening

2 Likes

Is that a toad?

Ground cypripedium orchids start to sprout and flower… :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Do you get polinators on your balcony?

1 Like

We’ll have cypripedium montanum in a couple of months -common name “lady slippers”. Very neat plants. Foliage is similar to yours.

2 Likes

Hi! This one is cypripedium macranthus, but there are more species starting to flower too… i don’t have cyp montanum… :blush:

2 Likes

White or Russian or Morus alba is bleeding. I’m looking for “vacated” rootstocks anywhere they can be found on my property:

IL 5b

2 Likes

My plum, peach and apricot have out done themselves. So excited! And the flowers smell so good!

9 Likes

Silver maples popping buds all over. Time to dormant spray while stuff is still dormant

2 Likes

So sorry.

1 Like

Lo and behold, my apricots are at shuck split. Peaches not far behind. There have been a lot of bees!

3 Likes

Sandhill cranes showed up today.

2 Likes

We’ve been looking but haven’t seen any yet.

1 Like

To be honest, I haven’t seen them either. I did hear them trumpeting in the marsh about a half mile away though :slight_smile:

1 Like

They do make a racket!

1 Like

Temps up to 70 today, earliest buds are thinking about popping. Time to spray. But … no dormant oil! Dig thru shelf - ah! Neem! “Can be used as dormant oil.” OK …

At least I had enough copper for the nects.

1 Like

I saw them overhead last week.

1 Like

I got pears separating bud scales. I’m like 80 miles south of Chicago but on the opposite side of the state near the Mississippi River.

1 Like

Pears are always late here. This year, it’s looking like apples will be early

Magnus pear was moving. I chopped it off though as mine had black rot. I haven’t looked everything over but I’ve looked at quite a bit. Not many pears have I looked at. There’s all kinds of non-natives in my Arboretum ready to learn a big lesson for a few months ahead, Lois.