Signs of Incipient Spring: 2022

At this time, my spray schedule calls for copper for the nects and oil for the apple aphids. See no need to spray pears at this time.

1 Like

Thank you, Lois.

Dax

Couldn’t get my eyes on them, but I heard bluebirds today while I was pruning. It always seems to be right around March 20th no matter what the spring is like.

2 Likes

I put my Oriole feeder up today. I wouldn’t be surprised to see one, today.

:crossed_fingers:

1 Like

What about an Oriole feeder makes it different from a generic birdfeeder?

1 Like

It’s usually early to mid May before orioles return here. All we put out for them is cheap grape jelly in an orange bowl.

1 Like

Hi guys,

I know it’s early, I just feel like everything is early. It’s sort of imprinted into my fibers of my body to feel. I don’t know. It’s how it is.

Here’s Orioles here in 2013 on April 2nd. It just happens to be the date on this photo.

Hi @marknmt all I know is this is the single best Oriole feeder there is. When you put one out, Orioles flock to it vs. all the other ones where people try to bring them to the feeder with fruit.

You should buy Welch’s only. It’s first ingredient is Concord grapes. Everything else first ingredient is concentrate of grapes. Welch’s is very-healthy for them and the other brands aren’t. They need the real grapes. Just a tip!

Dax

4 Likes

I learned something today, so it has not been wasted. Thanks, Dax!

3 Likes

We don’t have Orioles around here.Maybe if I get one of those feeders and some Welch’s Grape Jam,they will come flying in.
Other than that,the closest seeing some,was when Baltimore played against the Mariners in Seattle.

2 Likes

You get hit in the head with a baseball :wink:

1 Like

No,but I caught a few.

2 Likes

Close to 70 here today, as was yesterday.

Two of three pluots are starting to bloom (never should’ve planted them) . Some peach buds are pink, even had a few pear buds starting to break open. Considering it’s supposed to be 28 Sat night, that’s not a good sign. Seems like things are waking up sooner than previous years.

Apples have swelling buds, but still look pretty quiet, same for blackberries. Still getting daffodils blooming on the hillside, been going on about 3 weeks now.

Since I had to work on the riding mower yesterday (put in new battery, swapped the blades from mulchers to regular, and untangled the remains of wire dog leash from blades), I went ahead and mowed the front yard, as it was looking a bit shaggy. First mowing of the year, maybe the earliest.

2 Likes

first blooms of the year

7 Likes

73 at 6:30 here…Asian pears full bloom…but blackened by cold 9 days ago.

Frogs aren’t mating yet…so cold isn’t over for good yet.

1 Like

Got those too!

1 Like

Hellebore buds just popped up, about to open

1 Like

That’s normal I suppose in IL. I’ve had them in full bloom all of February…an the h. nigers in Nov. and Dec. From shiny deep deep burgundy to most other colors…they’re georgeous.

1 Like

First robins of the year this morning. The remaining ornamental crab fruit should disappear quickly now.

2 Likes

The rabbits are out running around and grazing - probably on my shrubs

Spring was cut short here with 50 cm of snow.

My Mirabelle de Nancy

My Schauenburger cherry

Honestly, I am glad for the snow because last night was supposed to be very cold and the snow isolates…

2 Likes