Sizing spitzenberg on m7

Hi, can anyone give me rough dimensions for a spitzenberg on m7 with a modified central leader? I have one and a place to plant it, but if it’s too big, we won’t be able to eat at the picnic table. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

You probably didn’t get a response because maximum tree size can vary depending on environmental conditions, and sometimes they runt for no apparent reason. I don’t have spitzenberg yet, so I can’t comment on its particulars. It is listed as medium vigor, so I would expect an average size M7 tree. I don’t restrict the size of my M7 trees and they typically have a 6’-7’ spherical radius canopy (measured from intersection of trunk and lowest scaffold). I can see them being maintained at half this size with summer pruning.

Hi Andrew,

May I ask what you mean when you stated “… and a place to plant it, but if it’s too big, we won’t be able to eat at the picnic table”?

M 7 grows to about 12-14 ft tall if not pruned. I pruned one of mine to open center at 6 ft, which I don’t like. The second one is another open center that I’m still not too happy with. Third time is a charm.
I think my 3rd one will be a good modified central lead that will go up to about 8-9 ft tall.

You can definitely control the height and width with pruning.

Thanks. We just have limited room in the front yard where it would go. I was figuring on the six foot radius, so it just might work! Any tips for the spitzenberg? I’m in Western Oregon, if that helps.