Slow to remove and now I want to keep my volunteer chestnut tree

I noticed a small tree about 2" from my back property line and intended to remove it. After forgetting it for a few years it has become a nice size tree (~20’). Yesterday I looked up and saw what looked like a few nuts opening up. I went back this morning and shook the tree and they came raining down including one of the burs which popped me on top of my head. I should have worn a hard hat. Those burs are sharp. Now I know why the squirrels haven’t bothered them. I don’t know much about chestnuts but the one I sampled was sweet and tasty.

14 Likes

nice suprise! i found a volunteer serviceberry tree about the same height growing out of my spruce hedge last year. this year it was full of good sized tasty fruit. love it when nature surprises us!

3 Likes

@Auburn you must be living right to have that kind of luck. Congratulations! You are truly blessed to be so fortunate! Ive been told the nuts will readily sprout as well if you want more of them and it appears the old guy who told me that by the looks of your tree was telling me the truth.

2 Likes

when i was stationed in Korea, the park on base had a knoll with park benches around it. on that knoll, there was maybe a doz. big chestnut trees, the nuts were huge. the soldiers didn’t pick them but the Korean workers would fill pack baskets full of them to bring home. wish i would have brought a few nuts home to try and grow here. only the pics of the biggest nuts on here were close to their size. one nut of the biggest ones, would fill the palm of your hand. kids would kick the burs around. some the size of a grapefruit.

2 Likes

There are probably some other chestnuts trees nearby, as from what I’ve read chestnuts aren’t self-fertile. There are some down the street from me that drop a lot of delicious chestnuts on to the road and sidewalk. I think I’m the only person who bothers to pick them up.

3 Likes

Your right. There is two larger chestnut trees on the property adjacent to me. The one on my property is most likely a seedling from them.

2 Likes