So Cal (inland) 2021 year round fruit observations

Laroda plum fruited abundantly its 3rd year in a row. I highly recommend it for inland So Cal. It is sweet and complex, and the oriental fruit moth that plagues peaches does not seem to affect plums. The birds leave it alone fairly well. It is a great option.

1 Like

How did FK fare? Good crop or light one?

Good crop on the only graft where it would be fair to judge (a decent sized branch on a good healthy tree). The other grafts are on young trees or the grafts are too small. I planted a new FK tree in March since it is so good it deserves its own tree.

1 Like

How about Last Chance peach? Many here in the Bay Area and in this group (in the east) love them. Is it high chill? Or is that Carnival I’m thinking of?

What apples have the So Cal folks already harvested? For me the season does not open in June with Anna because I don’t like those as much. Dorsett Golden was pretty good at a friend’s house though. But for me the season starts with Gala in August. Every year (on a young tree) it produces, and tastes amazing.

Early Fuji was a bust for me. Fuji is better and worth waiting for.

Rubinette seems to do well so far. It is heating peak flavor right now.

Any other suggestions for the August and early September window? A lot of my experiments did not work as well as I hoped. Lots of sunburn.

2 Likes

Note that Bonny Royal graft turned out to be mislabeled. Grain of salt on that cultivar for now, in terms of winter chill.

2 Likes