So when does M-111 production catch up with a dwarfing rootstock?

G-969 is a newer rootstock that seems to potentially have a lot going for it. Apparently it gets a little bigger than G-41, has the good qualities of G-41, and several online articles indicate it has the potential to produce a free standing tree. That would be about an ideal rootstock for me if staking is not needed.

https://extension.psu.edu/apple-rootstocks-capabilities-and-limitations

http://treefruit.wsu.edu/article/2017-geneva-rootstock-tour-observations/

Page 31 of this pdf makes an interesting observation showing how different rootstocks absorb nutrients based on different PH levels of the soil. It seems to indicate that G-969 actually performed better at a lower PH level which would be great for me if true with my 5.0 Georgia clay:

I have 10 of the G-969ā€™s on order with Cummins for spring delivery, guess I will report back in a few years with some results.

2 Likes

Iā€™m buying trees not stocks so donā€™t really have much of an option, but even if I was buying a bundle of rootstocks I might get MM111. Its been tested heavily in the US for many years and is very reliable. I had too many issues with the ā€œlatest and greatestā€ rootstocks over the years.

6 Likes

I mostly started out with M111 and if I was starting over I would still use it. My system is different in that I use a Bud9 interstem. It is amazing how much the interstem tames the top while providing a well anchored tree. These trees are about three years and it is early to determine long range how they will perform.

3 Likes

For vigorous growers, that dwarfing interstem is very helpful (Fuji, Jonagold, Baldwin, Winesap, etc.), but I wouldnā€™t grow the likes of Goldrush, Ark Black, or even Honeycrisp and Pink Lady and Yellow Delicious on it.

I believe in balancing rootstock to variety and site. But Iā€™m not growing apples commercially, and nowadays thatā€™s mostly done on bushes. Thatā€™s what makes the Cornell rootstocks potentially so useful, because those bushes are easily killed by fire-blight on traditional rootstocks.

2 Likes

How are your interstems doing for you?

2 Likes

@Jwsemo hey man do you have any pictures of your M111 trees? iā€™d love to see how yours look pruned open center, thanks

1 Like

Do you bury the m.111/b.9 graft union?

1 Like

I think if you bury the whole graft area it becomes a full size tree.

1 Like

Even if the buried portion is the b9 interstem?

1 Like

from what i remember reading it somewhere. You burry the MM111/B9 graft union. So the B9 can root a bit.

This supposedly would counter the MM111 suckering to much.

I have not buried my MM111/B9 interstem treeā€™s, but the graft union is close to ground level. So easy to bury later on if need be.
I have not experienced suckering problems. But the trees are still young.

A disadvantage to me would be. That if you bury the interstem graft union. You loose some of the wooly apple aphid resistance. Since the B9 roots are not resistant.

I am very curious if anyone tried the Geneva series as interstem. Unfortunately hard to get here.

Some of those G series are both dwarfing and WAA resistant. To me would be an ideal interstem for MM111. G41 might be a good. But i think i read somewhere it could have weak graft union when young.

2 Likes

this would be true if there was a ā€œnormalā€ cultivar grafted on MM111.

But here a long piece of a dwarfing rootstock is used. To confer some dwarfing to the MM111.

This means you have MM111 roots > B9 piece with few roots > scion cultivar

the > are graft unions. And you can safely bury the first one. (might loose WAA resistance)

3 Likes

I have quite a few M111/G41 interstems. My area doesnā€™t receive the intensity of wind as some who have experienced G41 graft union failures. Fingers crossed that it wonā€™t ever be a problem for my treesā€¦ I use about 12" of G41 interstem and then bury 4 to 6" of it so the G41 will root as well. Most are still supported but Iā€™m hoping to remove that in the coming years and they be both free-standing, and only somewhat larger than a tree on G41 alone would have grown toā€¦

3 Likes

Thanks for the update. I was not really sure how the interstem would do if fully buried. I had read that is you buried the grafted rootstock it turned into a full size tree. I have never covered a grafted rootstock so I have never experienced what actually happens.
Good to have that info, thanks.

1 Like

I have Edelborsdorfer growing on a G.11/M.111 interstem. I did bury a few inches of the G.11 portion. This year will be its third season. Seems poised for some decent growth.

3 Likes

thanks for the update. I would be really curious how large the tree gets at 5+th leaf.

if im not mistaken G11 does not have WAA resistance though.

2 Likes

I have a couple of G11/M111 interstem apple varieties. I am not impressed with them. Too scrawny and too little fruit. I am taking them out this spring and replacing them with something else.

1 Like