Socal Dapple Supreme Pollenator

It’s interesting that your flavor king bloomed. Mine is dormant even though my area has a bit more chill.

2 Likes

It probably means that yours is just collecting enough heat now.

1 Like

I have seen what I interpret as marginal chill stone fruit flowering later if it is exposed to more heat in the winter. That is why sometimes coastal people will get flowering before me. The inland areas get more chill at night, but they also get more daytime heat during the winter.
That’s my theory anyway. It might turn out to be wrong.

Does anyone else in So California have flavor king in bloom right now?

1 Like

If you account for the heat requirement, it would make more sense.

So in your case, I think that the chill requirement is likely met, but at this point the tree isn’t confident that it’s safe to break dormancy yet, until temperatures consistently get warm enough (Higher temperatures at night). So in general, once the chill requirement is met, the tree moves to filling up its heat requirement, but colder nights make it wait for a safer time.

1 Like

Interesting. Makes sense. I will look out for that in my reading and observations.

2 Likes

I was fortunate to have some overlap between my Dapple Supreme pluot with my Candy Heart pluerry, and then also with the Sweet Treat pluerry. A number of small fruits are forming. Luckily it was cold but not freezing at our property last night!

My blooming order so far this season is as follows:

Sauzee Swirl - 1/7 a few flowers, by 2/3 in full flower
Dapple Supreme - 1/10
August Pride - 1/15
Snow Queen - 1/19
Candy Heart - 1/29
Spice-zee - 1/30
Dorsett Golden - 2/1
Flavor Delight - 2/5
Katy - 2/6
Tropic Snow - 2/14
Sweet Treat - 2/16
Cot-n-Candy - 2/16
Ein Shemer - 2/16

2 Likes

Wow, amazing. My august pride is a full month later than yours. Snow Queen is totally dormant. Yet we are both so cal inland.

1 Like

James, how do your evenings look like as far as temperatures? I have an impression that you’re still getting chilly nights and that in my theory makes these trees think it’s not safe yet to break dormancy despite the warm days.

1 Like

Yeah it’s an interesting year! This is my august Pride leafing out with fruit forming already.

2 Likes

Our evenings are very mild here in Tustin so that would anecdotally support your hypothesis.

2 Likes

I was burning some redwood brush by one of my almond trees in January. The branch that was closest to the fire bloomed like a week or two earlier than all the other branches and trees. So if you could generate some heat by one of your pollinators maybe you can get a branch on that to bloom earlier and pollinate the dapple supreme

2 Likes

Good idea. It certainly warrants further investigation. I would suggest something other than fire. perhaps a ventilated plastic bag would produce sufficient heat. Use with caution though, it wouldn’t help to cook the branch.

1 Like

Good morning. I just joined the forum and need your help. If you have any Flavorosa cuttings that you can provide me for grafting will be appreciated. Thanks Contact me at 858-842-0200 if needed.
Thanks
Henry

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately Thomas hasn’t been seen on the forum in a year and a half.

What I can tell you about Flavorosa is that IME it’s not a very good pluot. As a result, I got rid of it long ago.

Hi Henry, I can give you some cuttings from my Flavorosa tree. It has a very mild flavor and turns soft pretty quickly. I can see why some people may not like it but everyone has different tastes. It has been a very productive tree in San Diego.

1 Like

Thomas,
Great. Please let me know when I can stop by for the cutting. I can stop by anytime tomorrow.
Thanks
Henry

1 Like

What week of the Month do you start to harvest?

1 Like

It depends on the weather. May-June is typical in inland San Diego where I live.

2 Likes

Thanks. I wanted it because it is the earliest pluot. How would you rare it 1 to 10?

1 Like

Wondering if you found good pollinators?
I have the same problem for my Ozark Premiere and Black Splender
Here is my blossom schedule kept this spring. There could be a possibility that my cherry plum could meet your needs if you did not find one yet.

Earliest: Cherry plum
2/12 Pics show the swelling flower buds, upon exam there it appears that there are smaller pointed growth buds surrounded by swelling flower buds at most nodes.

4/7 - 4/18: Shiro, Yellow plum, Ozark Premiere,

4/7- 4/18: Empress about 60% flowers fruited, others still open, Stanley,

4/14- Geneva Mirabelle, Red plum and Gages, Bills wild plums, Petite Prune d Argen, Sweet Treat Pluery, and L3,

4/20- 4/30: Black Splendor

A comment from my friend north of Seattle: “Don’t worry Dennis. Sugar twist and sweet treat and Nadia they’re having the same bloom period.especially Nadia blooming last very long time over a month.”

Do you have pollinators that might work for my two?
Dennis
Kent, wa

2 Likes