Socorro Black Fig

Socorro Black seems like a very high quality fig that isn’t talked about much. I have a two year old plant that hasn’t fruited yet but am wondering if others can share their opinions. It sounds like it checks all the boxes of flavor, prolific, fairly early, and healthy.

3 Likes

Steven, have you try to pinch them at all. I am a true believer in pinching them the 5th leaf indiscriminately how big or small the new fig rooting. My BM, Preto, I-258, Ischia Black UCD, Moscatel Preto all have figs from pinching and I just rooted them this year.

4 Likes

SB is one of my favorite figs.

16 Likes

I haven’t pinched this tree, Tony. I’m still trying to get it into the form I want.

1 Like

Hi…Anyone know where I can get Socorro Black Fig cuttings…I am figgers from Malaysia,I have 70 varieties of Figs.I am looking for Socorro Black fig cutting.

1 Like

Have you tried these people that have a huge collection of fig trees, and they are in the same country as you are

https://www.facebook.com/figmalaysia

If they don’t have it then the following guy ships outside the USA with the proper certificates, and other possible legal requirements, which is expensive to pay the fees, plus he of course charges shipping, and charges per cutting, he does have ‘Socorro Black’
http://www.figaholics.com/cuttings.htm

Another thing, you’d have to buy fast. he sells out very fast and he does not sell for much time each year, he starts selling about mid January, in about a week he ends the sale, he may sell out of a variety in a day or less, I have no idea how fast ‘Socorro Black’ would sell out. I suggest that you e-mail him soon to ask if he can send to your country next year during the ‘annual cutting sale’.

2 Likes

I was in the fig group of Malaysia since 4 years ago.No one in Malaysia growing socorro black.I Malaysia I was a fig collector so,

According to Mr Harvey figaholic, he unable to send cutting to Malaysia. I was followed Figaholic as well.

*In Malaysia

1 Like

His nursery sells ‘Socorro Black’, they ship internationally, yet I am not sure if they can ship to ‘Malaysia’, they too sell cuttings once a year, I am not sure if they can sell any other time of year. You should contact them, here is a link Contact Us | Fig Cuttings & Fig Trees for sale from WillsC Figs

I know it is fun to collect fig varieties with different “names”. But to the end, I’m not sure if you can tell which one if which if this were a “blind” tasting…

I am prefering fig named Kafe Te Jiate…was introduce by Dato Syed Elias from Malaysia,absolutely amazing…This varieties was the most expensive figs currently here…

1 Like

Thank you for the information,really appreciated, I will make a call…Normally i bought cutting from eBay.

1 Like

What I can tell is that, there are a lot of figs that are amazing… So many and maybe too many.

1 Like

In the right climate/location most fig varieties are great to amazing. Then again personal preference can turn people against an amazing variety as well.

You are welcome, ebay is only good if you know the seller is trustworthy.

1 Like

If you cannot get a Soccoro Black, in my several year comparison I cannot tell it apart from Bourjasotte Gris. I believe they may be the same fig, or are close enough in my climate that it does not matter. Bourjasotte Gris may be more readily available.

3 Likes

I also got Boujasotte Grise in my collection…anyway,I manage to get Socorro Black from friends in Vietnam…Thanks all

2 Likes