Мягкосемянный Розовый (Soft seeded Pink) Pomegranate

I was under the assumption Garnet Sash was Parfianka.

Definitely not.

@c5tiger, The “Fruit Gardener” Sept. & Oct. 2006 (Vol. 38 #5) was dedicated to pomegranates. A few sources were listed in a side bar on page 12, among them Bay Laurel who is supplied by Dave Wilson:

I think there was some confusion because DWN started referred Parfianka as Garnet Sash in their earlier catalogs.

http://ediblelandscaping.com/products/shrubs/Pomegranates/ParfiankaRussianPomegranate.php

Originally imported from Dr. Gregory Levin at the Garrigala agricultural station in Turkmenistan. Parfianka is a favored selection from a collection of over 1000 Pomegranate varieties. The fruit is quite large and highly colored in beautiful bright red. The arils are large and bright red with a very small, soft, edible seed. The fruit is of the highest quality.100 to 200 chill hours. Self fruitful. Space 10’ circle. Also called Garnet Sash. Zone 7 - 9. (warm 6 perhaps).

Nope. That was the confusion of retailers making that assumption.

http://www.bobdunn.com/dunnbob/wordpress/2011/02/goodby-to-the-pomegranates/

Ed Laivo
December 3, 2011 at 11:18 am #
In all fairness,
I am the one responsible for naming the varieties from the Wolfskill germplasium repository, including A Lavins many great selections. As a matter of fact I had wrote that the intention was to release these varieties under market names to help Dave Wilson Nursery recapture the funds spent on researching pomegranates for 6 years before the release. The information you received off of the Garden Web site was incorrect. It was my intention to release Parfyanka in the first offering (there were 2 that followed) and I shared my desire to name it Garnet Sash with but a very few people a year before the release. The amount of cutting wood available was not sufficient so I had another variety released as GS. There was never any mention of Parfyanka at that point. One of the people who was privy to the early consideration writes on the Garden Web site you linked. They were not a part of the release. I am sorry that your experience was bad. I do agree with Rick that the selection might not be adapted to your climate as it is a wonderful RED selection in the dryer California climate. I would add that I could not have told you not to plant any of the selections including Parfyanka due to there inability to adapt to high humidities. I did many test on the released selection but we did none connected with humidity tolerance. I hope the Florida supplier was able to supply a suitable selection, because I do agree that Poms are a Wonderful Fruit

Ed Laivo
Former Sales and Marketing Director For Dave Wilson Nursery

Exactly my point.

Yup, looks like there was just some misunderstanding.

or greed.

Back in the day when DWN began selling pomegranates from the Turkmenistan section (a physical place at Wolfskill), only Garnet Sash and Kashmir Blend were offered. Tom Spellman called or visited all of his customers myself included and told us which accessions they were. After all, many of us had been there with Ed and Tom at the Wolfskill tastings for 2-3 years.

A few months later, the Fruit Gardener issue on Pomegranates appeared with praise for many varieties esp. Parfianka. That cultivar was then also praised by individuals jumping on the “pomegranate publication” bandwagon. However, as of that year there was little scionwood to be had and was mostly among CRFG enthusiasts. Then came the greedy sellers that began labeling anything and everything as Parfianka. It appears there are some places still at it.

Here’s a photo of a few of the buds on the north side of the plant. Looks like I’m going to have a staggered harvest :smile:

1 Like

The man I got these from did state they were labeled Garnet Sash and thought it was Parfianka, but once it started fruiting he found that the fruit did not match the Parfianka description. I planted the cuttings 4 years ago and looks like I will get to try the fruit this year. If it is good I will keep it if not it will be removed. It is the least cold hardy pomegranate I own and has been killed to the ground twice, 2 and 3 winters ago, which were unusually cold.

Per your recommendation I asked Tom; I just heard back, and he said it is not Gissarskii Rozovyi, it is in the Wolfskill collection as “Elf”.

this thread and sub-thread are gushing with incredibly authoritative posts, but who should we believe in now–Richard or Spellman ?

I think Richard gets credit either way, he suggested the Spellman approach.

absolutely.

Now go look at the accession numbers for both!

Garnet Sash : DPUN 45 and DPUN 88, aka Elf. Gissarskii Rosovyi is DPUN 107.

Is that what you were asking for?

1 Like

Good work! Now I have confidence that some folks here can solve these inconsistencies on their own :smile: :smile:

This also tells me that somewhere in the last decade DWN started using a different accession for Garnet Sash.

No worries, I recently found I had successfully rooted a Key Lime cutting for the first time, after purchasing a stronger rooting hormone and leaving it in a plastic bag humidity dome for three months. If the pomegranate roots by that time or before as long then I’m happy. Rooted a chrysobalanus icaco cutting also.

1 Like

Fruit on its way!

3 Likes