Some fruits of the 150-n-1 tree

LOL! Whenever I can, I take the new cultivars on a journey. Starting from the moment they’re palatable until they either fall off or shrivel. And I sample along their journey. Take notes when they achieve peak flavor or how long they hold on to the tree. It is like taking wine on its journey. You buy a couple of cases and sample them through time.

1 Like

Grafted this year and fruited this year. These are suppposed to be Superior plums, an Asian x American hybrid. Can’t believe they’re huge for a plum, coming from a small branch. Can someone confirm that this is the real deal or could it be mislabeled from the exchange?

4 Likes

Hollywood plum is really a good keeper on the tree. They’re already good to eat since last week of May. After several heatwaves, they’re not showing signs of shriveling and have become sweeter than ever!

8 Likes

That pic looks like a Dapple Dandy to me, but my experience with stone fruit is very limited. It’s amazing to see all the different fruit come from the same tree.

1 Like

Here’s my Dapple Dandy. They aren’t ready yet. Dapple Dandy have rounded fruit bottoms instead of blunt or slightly pointed.

7 Likes

They’re supposed to be ready in mid-August but July 8, they’re wonderful tasting already. The Padre plum will turn into deep yellow-orange plum with pale yellow flesh, amazingly sweet, remaining firm when ripe and with a suggestion of apricot flavor. This plum was developed in the 1940s, believed lost for decades, but lately rediscovered at one San Joaquin Valley farm and now it appears regularly at CRFG exchanges.

6 Likes

That’s looks like Superior.They are juicy like the Beauty Plum.Brady

1 Like

Thanks Brady!

Flavor Queen Pluot are now ready and they’ll only get sweeter and sweeter as they turn yellow green. They remain crunchy even when overripe. When overripe, it is like biting into a very soft freshly peeled sugarcane and no other flavors except sugary sweetness. The skin aren’t even tart nor bitter. I usually have few fruit sets of Flavor Queen because its peak bloom coincides with heavy rains but to compensate the fruits are bigger than normal because it’s naturally thinned out.

The best way for us to enjoy the sugary fruits such as the Flavor Queen, is to squeeze Calamondin juice on the freshly sliced fruits, just like perking the flavor of persimmons or papayas when their flavor gets boring.

4 Likes

The last of my Sprite Cherry Plum Interspecific hybrid. The flesh is firm, colored yellow, small as a cherry plum, it is a hybrid of Japanese Plum and Cherry Plum. It keeps well on the tree for a month before it shrivels and fall off after a series of heatwaves. It always has bird damage because it is among the first fruits on my tree that turns black long before it is ripe. Then the birds avoid tasting them after the few early disappointing bites, so they continue to ripen fully but then fruits have bird bites already. When overripe, the flesh turns slightly golden to orange.

2 Likes

I liked fresh pressed Sugarcane juice with a squeeze of kumpuat juice. So FQ will fit the bill for me Joe!

Tony

1 Like

That’s excellent Tony! We squeeze Calamondin juice on our Flavor Queen or Papayas or Persimmons! I have year round Calamondin fruit production in my yard.

Those look like Superior plums to me. They have that pointy tip to them.

My sole specimen from last year is below.

They also have slightly more weepy growth than other plums.

2 Likes

BTW, I love sugarcane, and Flavor Queen Pluot is the one that can deliver it for me! I have cold hardy sugarcane in my yard but it is too hard to chew and I don’t have a sugarcane press. As a kid, I grew up in the Sugarland of the Philippines!

2 Likes

Darn! I really missed out on taking the pics of about 30 other fruit cultivars that have been already harvested such as my sweet cherries, wild cherries, early season nectarines, apricots, apriums, plumcots…

Here’s the picture of my favorite interstem, the Adara plum, it bears good tasting fruits that’s slightly bigger than a cherry but has tinier seed! Adara made it possible for me to graft any cultivar of sweet cherry tree into my stone fruit tree.

4 Likes

And here’s one of the earliest fruits on the same tree, polka dot cherries, which actually Rainier Cherry that was hit by hail earlier in the season.

8 Likes

Can you help me ID this? I lost the tag on this one. It has various stages of fruits, some are green and some are ripe. It is excellent tasting. It has the texture of European
Plum so the juices don’t run down your hands when you bite into it. The flesh tasted exactly like a combo of apricot and European plum. The skin is only very slightly tart. Any guess as to what this is? It is freestone and the seed is empty, so it is a sterile hybrid. Just harvested a couple of the ripe ones today.

3 Likes

Golden Nectar are now delicious to eat. They haven’t turned golden yet. Only a few fruits achieved the mango shaped fruits and most showed plump double cheeks. They’re going to turn golden as days go by and sweeter each day. This is one of the fantastic heirloom plums to have. It keeps well on the tree and are seldom attacked by the birds.

7 Likes

Babcock White Peach! They’re huge and very sweet, creamy and delicious because it’s tree-ripened. It’s a freestone. The skin is slightly astringent.

6 Likes

Another unknown plum that fell from the 150-n-1 tree, so I don’t know which branch it fell from. It is slightly firm, sweet and freestone. A bird pecked on this but it fell down.

4 Likes