Some fruits of the 150-n-1 tree

Brooke’s Cherry Plum is sweetening up very good. I only have a small branch of it but it is heavily loaded. It is the last of my red-leafed plums that ripen on the tree and it’s ready now! I have 6 different kinds of red leafed plums on my 150-n-1 tree.

6 Likes

Very much like Emerald Beaut Plum. Do you have that variety by any chance to compare?

I regrafted Emerald Beaut earlier this year as last year turned to be a mislabeled one. I don’t know if they have fruits. I usually have fruits on my first year’s grafts and haven’t inspected. I have Autumn Gold and Autumn Jade which are at par with Emerald Beaut and they’re loaded! They’re late season so aren’t ready yet. They’re also excellent keeper on the tree and turn sweeter and golden the longer you keep them on the tree.

2 Likes

Howard’s Miracle Plum, it’s first fruit from the 150-n-1 tree, grafted last year. As large as a Nectarine and tasted like one too, very complex flavor profile with hints of citrus Pomelo, pineapple, yellow nectarine, tangy and sweet! Crispy and firm, semi-freestone and excellent overall flavor. Don’t know if it will keep well on the tree as I only have a couple of fruits left.

10 Likes

If you wish to add some improved Chickasaw to your tree, remind me come January and I can send you some Toole’s Heirloom and McKibben.

2 Likes

Howard Miracle ripens over two months on my tree, from early July to early September. I usually harvest them when they have much darker skin than your specimen, at least on the sunny side. They get purple on the sunny side, while the other side is red mottled over yellow background. The flesh is also darker at this stage.

2 Likes

Toka or Bubblegum plum is now ready and tasted excellent. Beautiful colors. It is a hybrid between American Plum and Japanese Plum. The fruits are bigger than American plums but smaller than Japanese plums. It is semi-freestone. Flavor is complex, tasted like one of the sweet American Plums but with far less bitterness and astringency on the skin, and the texture is like that of European Mirabelles. Aromatic but better fragrance than bubblegums. Birds are now starting to feast on it. Will try again later and describe it some more.

The two fruits on the right have fused together like twins but each one has its own petiole!

10 Likes

Inca plums, as ancient as it’s name, it is an heirloom plum that keeps well on the tree. Not as sweet as Golden Nectar plum but just right and enjoyable. Now it’s ready from the 150-n-1 tree!

7 Likes

For some reason, I didn’t come across this thread until today. Great job, Joe!!! Thanks for all the info!

1 Like

D’Agen European Plums or Prunes. Almost ready for drying! Unlike other prunes, this one is red-purple with traces of olive green on the outside and rich amber yellow flesh on the inside. It’s sugary sweet. It is usually used for cooking! Can’t wait to try what kind of dish I will prepare with it. Maybe you have some ideas? Otherwise, I’ll just dry the rest and eat later.

14 Likes

Can’t believe how sweet the overripe plums are! Imagine 33 brix!!! I quickly calibrated the meter with tap water, so it means that the brix is at least 33 over tap water. They’re sweeter than the wine grapes! Gotta be careful with this comatose inducing sweetness!!!

6 Likes

Asian ladies raided my 150-n-1 tree! Now I cannot document what they harvested. They told me that if it tasted good it would be gone! So most probably all of my mid-season fruits and some late season fruits were the victims! Well, as long as they enjoyed the fruits, I’m happy :grin::yum:

9 Likes

Hi @coolmantoole - I’d love to buy some scionwood from you for improved chickasaw plums. I’ve been growing the species for a while but very excited to try selections. Let me know if you’d be willing! Thanks -Lincoln