Some kind of forum outage?

I was only able to log in by doing a password reset in an incognito browser tab, and it looks like no posts have been made by anyone in the last 5 hours… I assume there’s some kind of hosting problem going on here? Expired certificates perhaps?

1 Like

Apparently it is expired certificates. I had to switch browsers, allow an unsafe login, according to Chrome, and even had to look up my password. Firefox wouldn’t let me on at all.

@scottsmith will sort it out as soon as he knows, I’m sure, but no great rush I hope. Thank you, Scott!

2 Likes

Indeed it was an expired certificate… my apologies for that! It is supposed to auto-renew but for whatever reason the auto-renew failed.

Anyway, we have a fresh certificate and should be good to go!

21 Likes

Thanks Scott!

Thank you Scott. I was worried about you and your family.
Is it time for another round of donation to help with running the site?
Thanks again for all your work.

5 Likes

Thanks

Thank you Scott!

Thanks for thinking of that. I just took a look and the last round was in late 2020 and we were $2600 in the black after that round. Fortunately the photo storage costs went down radically, Amazon changed their pricing model in some way that really helped us saving around $50 per month. So it looks like we will be OK through the end of 2022 or thereabouts :smile: There is a increase in the emailing costs, we are sending enough email notifications that it is now $20 more per month.

By the way when the site was down I went ahead and updated the software to the latest version, you will see a few new features now. Also the auto-renew problem should be fixed with the new update, the protocol there changed a bit which seems to be why the auto-renewal failed.

13 Likes