Some New Apple Varieties In India

2 Likes

Resemble Red Delicious

i don’t think they’re the same/resemble as red delicious. Don’t think you can judge that from a picture.

Could you teel us a little more? Did you cross them yourself? Or who developed them? By the name i can guess certain parents. I assume they are bred for better/more heat tolerance or climate specific?

1 Like

well I didn’t crossed it myself…I grafted it… I’m an Indian and most of the Varieties we plant here are imported from Italy or US.

Have you ever heard of HrMn 99 ?

While I was looking up about your post
I saw this

(a sample but I am not copy /pasting the whole thing)

In what is seen as a groundbreaking development, farmers across many states in India are successfully growing a cultivar of apples called HRMN 99. The variety, which can be grown in low altitudes (1,800 feet above sea level), has been developed by Hariman Sharma, a 65-year-old farmer from Bilaspur, Himachal Pradesh. Apple are usually cultivated at a minimum of 5,000 feet above sea level.

“After working as a labourer in other farms for many years. In 1998, I started nurturing mango orchards and began vegetable cultivation. In 1999, I purchased apple seeds from another farmer in the district and planted them. I did not have any hopes that it would grow, but I observed a small apple seedling that had sprouted. I nurtured that seedling with the little knowledge I gained from my farming experience, and let it grow,” says Hariman.

In two years, the tree started fruiting, but the fruits were small in size. To improve the quality of the apple, he grafted a stem from the apple tree with a plum tree.

“Owing to the non-availability of apple trees, I grafted it on a plum tree. It was successful, and the fruit quality was much better. They were the size of regular apples, and in an earth-shade colour with red tinges on the side. Soon, I grafted some more trees, and created a mini orchard with 8 trees. Till date, these trees continue to bear fruits, and provide a yield of 1 quintal every season which is usually in June. ” he says.

Also I know some places spray Urine (or Urea) in strong doses
to de foliate leaves to bring the apples tree’s to being dormant
not really gross as Cow urine (and milk) has been used to control pests disease on leaves for a long time
besides it’d be after the plant fruited…

what the altitude?

Galaval is well known in Europe, it is one of many Gala clones. Devil is probably Devil Gala, the darkest Gala clone.

2 Likes

well hrmn99 apple variety generally planted in lower elevation…you can say below 3000ft that’s the reason many farmers in India who have lower elevation have successfully grown it’s orchards … it’s suitable for tropical and sub tropical areas …I’m living at a height of 6500 ft above sea level…and the varieties which I have shown in the images are all delicious and gala varieties which can be planted above 5000 ft

2 Likes

How many times do you spay them with minerals/chemicals per year and what compounds do you use?

we do almost 10-11 sprays in a year… fertilizers are extra

What is Weather like is there a Monsoon season , and dry season ?
the apples can go dormant in the dry season
does the cooler months get really cool ?

Does India Have Other apple family (Rosaceae) plants (loquat or hawthorn )
anything else pome fruit ---- do they grow Pears there?

The temperate region in India comprises of the Himalayan range in the North with China on the other side. These are high mountain ranges with typical temperate climate. You move down a few thousand feet in elevation and the climate changes to subtropical. The main crop is Apple mainly red Delicious, some Bartlett and stone fruits mostly Japanese plums. The terrain is really rugged sleep slopes. Land holdings small and all work is hard manual labour.

1 Like

http://www.ecologynow.org/page-14 for those interested.

1 Like