Some of my citrus

Photo shoot evening #2 is led by the requisite Meyer lemon.

I’m sure these are the #1 citrus sold for container and indoor growing. I’m guessing that the reasons for that are that it is naturally dwarf and flowers and produces early. My own opinion is that they are possibly the biggest pain in the neck of all the citrus to grow successfully indoors, especially if they spend part of the year outdoor. They react poorly to change and any stress. Ponderosa lemons aren’t too far behind, but those are large and gangly trees, not promoted for indoor growing. My key limes follow well behind in propensity to pout, and third runner up to them has been kumquats.

Kumquats have an excuse. They go into a period of quiescence after fruiting, and are naturally slow to come out of it. It’s one reason they can handle lower winter temperatures than many other citrus.

I no longer stress out when any of the above act cranky, and just take it as part of their nature. I give them what they need and let them get back on course in their own time.

Back to the subject at hand. Page ‘orange’ is next in the line up.

Page is called an orange only because it looks like an orange. It’s actually a tantangelo, the result of a cross between a Minneola tangelo and a Clementine mandarin. I was happy to get fruit to set because I don’t have any of the preferred pollinators.

My Xie Shan, a satsuma mandarin.

This is one I’m looking forward to tasting. It’s supposed to be very good. I’m pleased with its productive nature and growth habit. Xie Shan has a far less weeping habit than Owari, and is cooperating by putting out growth lower down in its trunk. Those who prefer lollipop trees might not appreciate that last trait, but it allows more area of productive growth area in less of an indoor footprint.

The next two shots are “Sugar Belle”.

Sugar Belle is my most recent arrival. She’s also a Clementine X Minneola hybrid. I’m a wee bit excited about this one. It’s touted to have some very appealing characteristics. Ripening 4 to 6 weeks before Honeybell, it is supposed to be deeper colored, richer and more complexly flavored, and sweeter, along with having 40% more vitamin C in a slightly smaller fruit. It is resistant to Alternaria. Sugar Belle fruits prolifically and exhibits vigorous growth. It has been shown in trials to maintain performance even when infected by HLB. A protected variety first released for FL commercial growers only in 2009, it has been less than 4 years since the first small batch was permitted to be sold to individuals, and even less time since its been available through approved nurseries.

Measured from the base of the trunk, this tree is already taller than I am. A negative is that some of the young fruits appear to have been hit by scab, which I will treat for. If this tree comes anywhere near approaching the claims made for it, I’ll be very happy.

Last one for the evening is a classic. These are some of recently set Key Lime fruitlets. It’s also carrying larger ones from an earlier bloom.

5 Likes

I would like to try to grow citrus again someday. The last tree (lemon) dropped all of its leaves one winter (inside) and that was that.

I think the trees would be much happier if you were to build them a floating platform in the pool so they could gently glide around all day…maybe they would even start to send roots into the water for a little drink.

My favorite citrus as of late has become the red grapefruits. Goes well with Vodka.

1 Like

:smile: One gust of wind and there would be a load of mud on the bottom of the pool with bark chips and perlite floating on top while the trees bathed themselves in chlorinated water. Fun times! I’ve been working on getting them away from the water to where they have at least dappled shade in the afternoon.

Just because that lemon lost all its leaves didn’t mean it was a goner. As long as the wood is green there is active chlorophyll. I’ve seen a lemon go 6 months with zero leaves before coming back to life and carrying on like nothing ever happened. If something insists on being naked, I’d just let them sit off by themselves until they either turn brown or revive.

Dad was in Kissimmee.

Which passionflower do you have? I’ve got a few (lavender Lady, lutea, Incense, incarnata, capsularis and Caerulea). I just got Incarnata Alba and squirrels have dug it out 2 times and now have broken off all its growth. Hoping it comes back.

I’ve got a M Basjoo I move in as well.

I know what you mean about having to do the moving yourself. I tried having my daughter help, it wasn’t pretty.

I have an old farm house with a coal room. It has 1 small window and I supplement with lights all winter long.

Scott

Now you tell me! Should i go to Home Depot and demand a new one :slight_smile: I think it was like $20. I suppose i could see if they have them again (they seem to get them this time of year). I use to grow citrus from seeds and had a ton of them, but the young trees have razor sharp spikes and that wasn’t doing it for me so i composted them all.

I like lemon bars.

Well, you hadn’t asked me! You just did what most people would do, and just chucked it.

I do, too, especially in summer! I was eating lemon bars today. :smile:

You people are maniacs! Nice work! You inspire us to try difficult stuff!

I just have flying dragon, which fruits reliably, and owari satsuma, which I planted in the ground and is fruiting, although I put him in a pot for the winter.
John S
PDX OR

1 Like

This question is for those of you who haul your citrus in for the winter. What size pot do you plant these in? And can you give me dimensions - like height and diameter (I’m not familiar with pots sizes in gallon measures yet)

I know you didn’t mean it to be, but that’s a trick question, Anne. :smile:

I went outside barefoot in the dark to eyeball the closest one. I almost stepped on a big, fat frog. Looks like my friend has found his way back to my deck. Last year he’d come in every night and sleep under my sofa. Then go back out in the morning. He’s grown since then. Despite the startle, I remembered why I’d gone out. That pot appeared to be about 12"x12". At least a few others are in the same size. Some are larger, and some are considerably larger. I’d have to look at those in the daytime.

Citrus usually comes in a pot. Most of the roots are the fine, fibrous type, which will easily rot if left waterlogged. For this reason, they need a well draining potting mix and a container that does not have an excessive amount of potting mix volume compared to the roots. Too much soil makes it difficult to determine the actual amount of moisture in the root zone.

When you get one in a container, it is often the correct size. Sometimes you do need to move up one size. Only once when up potting have I had to jump more than one size at a time. I think that was with the Ponderosa lemon.

1 Like

Thanks Muddy,
I finally got a citrus. The pot is 10" in diameter and 12" high, but the tree is 4.5’ above the pot. But from what you are saying about the roots, that pot size is OK?

If the tree and roots are happy, your pot size is good for now. If you want, you can lay it on its side and gently pull the pot off to see whether their is a comfortable balance between roots and potting mix, or if the roots are overcrowded. If they needed more space, I’d bump up the pot one size in width.

Don’t leave me hanging here. What did you wind up getting, and from where?

1 Like

I ordered from Stan the guy you recommended. His prices were better than what I could find locally.
I have a Meyer Lemon and Owari Satsuma

Stan is a nice guy, and reliable when it comes to citrus. You’re going to love the Owari! He’s the one who lured me in to growing it. Do check your roots, though. They could be anywhere from just having been moved into that size and being ready to up pot.

Some of my citrus …
Not to bad for the mid. Jan. West Virginia . Crop. .? ? ?..
Potted indoor , of course .
Not profitable , … But sure is fun…
Just wanted to share …

8 Likes

Also , still ,“ponderosa”

A
And yah. That’s the same dollar . Hope I don’t need to spend it. ,!
What would I use for scale ? Maybe just the change ?

6 Likes

I love the tiny orange, all are beautiful, especially when they are grown in a place you do not expect to see them! Beautiful.

ok, my Meyer bit the dust… So, what is a better choice for a citrus that someone who moves their plant in and out of the house numerous times during the year (stays small-ish) and tastes worth growing?

(funny thing is my finger lime is already outside and not happy about it. My basement growing room needed to be emptied this weekend because I have a plumber coming out and the main coming into the house needs to be replaced. It was not happy with the 34 degree night it endured last night. The rest of the week the lows will be in the 40’s or better. Fingers crossed on this one, though I am not terribly worried)

Scott