Some of my citrus

I snapped a few pics before it got too dark this evening. It’s nowhere near everything, but at least it’s some visual evidence that I actually am growing these puppies. They’ll never be as large or productive as those grown in the ground of warmer regions or in greenhouses, but I think they do okay for trees that live in my house when it’s cold.

I hope you enjoy them.

This is Ponkan. It’s doing a good job of carrying its fruits and adding new growth.

One of my little friends

is on the job trying to protect my Kishus from the abundance of whiteflies, leaf hoppers, grasshoppers, and other sucking/chomping insects here.

This is Honeybell. Honeybells are special to the Southeast. She’s a young tree that is in much better shape now than when I bought her.

Flame grapefruit. I have this one for my girls who love grapefruit.

That’s all I could record in the dwindling light and still be able to remember which was which when I uploaded them. If people enjoy seeing them, I’ll try to add more tomorrow.

I may add more even if no one else is interested. :smile: It will help me have a record of what I’m growing.

14 Likes

Looking good!

1 Like

WOW! Those are amazing. Even for where you live, that is a major accomplishment. Darn you…like I don’t have enough to handle in my orchard without trying to start growing indoor citrus and moving it out in the summer…but you sure make it tempting. Great job.

3 Likes

Thanks, Ron. They sure aren’t set 'em and forget 'em trees in this neck of the woods. Their most recent nemesis has been too much sun and heat. I’ve been shuffling them from areas near the pool where they looked so good set in large glazed stoneware pots, and moving them to where they get some shade and less reflected light. Sunburned leaves look rather cool with the metallic sheen they have at first, but that burning isn’t good for the health of the tree or the fruit.

1 Like

Yeah no doubt. Whatever you are doing, keep it up. All my in-ground and potted citrus are getting hammered with temps and sun as well. 101 yesterday, 102 today, 98 tomorrow…You get the idea lol

Oh yeah, and of course our last measurable rain was early may, and our next rainfall will be sometime around early - mid november! :fire: :cold_sweat:

1 Like

Thanks, Kevin. You’ve got a house all to yourself. You could do it and have fresh fruit into the winter. Do you have ulcers or high blood pressure? I ask because keeping them inside will give you plenty to worry about all winter long. :wink: :smile: On the plus side, some are usually blooming at any given time during winter. The scent would be enjoyable aromatherapy.

@Calron Yup, I know the drill and cringe at my water bills. Even the tropicals droop all afternoon. I wish I could leave my trees where they looked so nice and were easier to care for, but the reflected light from the water and light colored apron goes beyond beneficial to damaging.

@MuddyMess_8a – Its kind of nice that you remember enough personal information about so many members, like remembering that I bought this house after I divorced and therefore do have a house to myself. But its a very good point…I actually have 2 pretty large bedrooms and a basement (more like a big cellar) and a garage that I could easily turn into a grow room(s)! Wait…I have to be careful calling it a “grow room”…that sort of suggests a different kind of crop which I most certainly won’t be growing! :slight_smile:

1 Like

And what do you think an 8’x4’x7½’ high hydroponics grow tent with light banks sitting in my living area says to people? :grin:

Actually, it’s funny. The room is large and I have the tent near a wall behind a sofa. People tend to not even notice it’s there. I guess because it’s black, minds register it as nothing there.

They all look fantastic, Muddy. And love your little frog friend! Love Ponkan. One of my most favorite mandarins. You have a great collection going, love to see more photos. I need to pick up another Rio Red grapefruit for my hubby, who loves the classic taste of grapefruit. I personally prefer the hybrids (Valentine, Melogold, Oroblanco, Cocktail). Less tart for me. But Dave likes that real grapefruit flavor.

Patty S.

1 Like

That is hilarious, Muddy. You know, our Police Dept sometimes does seizures from grow operations. They auction that stuff off and it usually brings very little money compared to new equipment. I guess people that need indoor growing equipment are a little reluctant to buy it from a police department! haha. Anyway, I like hearing about your “indoor grow” and it seems to be doing a great job on your citrus.

I could use some of that. Let me know on the next auction, if it can be bid over the phone.

Thanks, Patty. It’s extra nice when you folks in CA and the Southwest say encouraging words about my citrus because there you get to experience growing citrus into its roots-in-the-ground glorious potential, and can find a varied selection through local nurseries.

Here a few nurseries offer some citrus during early summer. We can choose anything we want, as long as it’s a Meyer lemon or unidentified kumquat. Occasionally Key lime, or Washington navel are in the mix. They charge a crazy high price for the size and condition of the trees. I’ve wound up making safaris to hunt down and examine the ones I’m interested in. You know so much more about citrus than I do. It makes me happy to hear that you enjoy some of my selections.

I’m not a grapefruit lover, either. In order for me to eat a grapefruit, I have to sit in front of a sugar bowl. Then I’m still likely to wince with each mouthful. I really do love a good Mandarin. I could happily nibble on those the whole day through.

This winter may prove to be a challenge. My cold sensitive plants have increased in both number and size since this past January. I’ve managed to keep them all alive and get most of them to be productive without a greenhouse. If they keep growing in size at the rate they have been so far this summer, they’ll wind up taking up more than twice the space that they did. The bananas just might have to handle winter outside because the citrus and more sensitive tropicals will be coming in first.

1 Like

All I get from moving citrus inside are spider mites

Hah, girl after my own heart. I adore mandarins. Probably why I have so many mandarin cultivars in my orchard, no doubt. But, I also love the Cara Cara navel, and the Cocktail grapefruit, which isn’t even a grapefruit or grapefruit hybrid. It’s a cross between a pummelo and a mandarin (which is why I like it, lol!) I also like Melogold grapefruit hybrids, which are palatable for me, as the very delicious Valentine pummelo hybrid, which is also part mandarin. You do such an outstanding job of managing your tropical and semi-tropical plants through the winter. That’s a lot of effort to keep things going, I commend you.

1 Like

Wanted to share a couple of mine too. (Hope you don’t mind)

Finger lime. 4th year in a pot. Started out 4 inches tall. It’s now over 5 feet tall (including the pot)

Meyer Lemon. It was damaged by a racoon last year who seemed to try the fruit and decide it wasn’t good

Not a citrus, but my pomegranate has been blooming for a couple weeks, they just seem to fall off, though…

`

The finger lime flowers are tiny, but it blooms its head off. The flowers are purple, I hope it means the fruit will be similar…

Scott

Just realized I could/should have taken a pic of my poncirus. It’s been in the ground 6 years and is as tall as me (but no blooms/fruit yet)

3 Likes

Do they itch??

Sorry.:sweat:

1 Like

I’m glad you’re in the mood to share, Scott. Those are looking good! I’ll be glad to take them and claim them as “Some of my citrus.” :smile:

I’m impressed with the growth of that container grown finger lime! The tree looks so light and airy. It’s an attractive tree right now. I look forward to seeing pics when you discover the color of its finger limes. I don’t know if blossom color is any indication of the color of the limes, After all, Meyer lemons aren’t purple like their blossoms start out.

I was happy that my in ground pomegranate which was very severely injured last year managed to make a lot of blooms from that part that looks like it will survive. Not a single one set, though. I miss those fruits.

I was able to get shots of a few more trees this evening, but I still need to get them loaded onto the computer, resize them, and label them before I forget in what order they were taken. You will get to see my requisite Meyer lemon on my next go round. I think there is an unwritten rule that anyone who grows citrus in containers must have at least one Meyer lemon. :wink:

I was sure that lemon would not make it after it was split.

The finger lime’s roots basically cover the top of the soil under the mulch. The new growth is nice and soft, but within a couple days the thorns are dangerous once again. I just hope that I don’t need to move it up to too much larger a container as I carry it doe. To the basement every fall. It does just fine… Must be because the spider mites are all too busy on my passionflower so.

How soon after the lemon’s fruit turns yellow should you pick them? That fruit on there was green last fall and I probably should have pulled it off, but neglected to do so.

My dad had citrus in Fl. I believe he had a honeybell. His favorite was a key lime. 2weeks after he passed the city came out and removed it as a precaution for greening or some other citrus disease. Wish I could have saved that one. Had I known I would have flown down and brought it back to Mi with me.

Where do you get your citrus? The finger lime was bought online. The lemon I bought as I drove home to Mi from Fl. I’m got it at a roadside stand selling pecans.

Scott

1 Like

Great looking citrus! I too grow citrus in pots and have for years. I have noticed through the years a need for my trees to get a little afternoon shade as well. That reflected heat gets em unhappy. Im sure its the roots heating up in those pots. They do take a little work but its great getting that late season winter treat.

1 Like

I don’t like being stuck by thorns when I move things. I use nail clippers and trim them down to nubs. [quote=“Chills, post:18, topic:6420”]
I just hope that I don’t need to move it up to too much larger a container as I carry it down to the basement every fall.
[/quote]
I carry mine up the deck stairs and into the house repeatedly from fall through spring. One or another of the kids always seems to show up and ask if I need help when I’m down to the last one or two. Then they fuss at me for doing it by myself. :smile: I’d like their better muscle power, but no one else is as careful getting the canopies through the doorways, and I have a plan in my head about what is going where and how each needs to be positioned. Not counting the many other plants. There are 23 citrus, 2 first year papayas, 2 mangoes, a lychee, a star fruit, a passion fruit vine, at least 8 bananas, and about a dozen each pineapples and first year figs. I try to spread the major seasonal moves over multiple days. There’s probably at least an equivalent amount of flowering and decorative plants.

It sounds like a lot, and it probably is, but it’s so nice to see plants that are almost happy with my place in the summer, unlike my temperate fruits, which struggle for survival through summer. It seems like every week there’s something different working in tandem with the heat and lack of rain trying to do those in.

What part of FL did he live in? They’ve gone through waves of drastic measures trying to limit the spread of both canker and greening (HLB) down there. I don’t think they still remove trees to control the spread of HLB because it’s so entrenched that has become futile, but they may. The focus has changed to finding ways to help infected trees remain productive, and developing varieties and rootstocks that are resistant to its effects, on top of attempting to control the Asiatic citrus psyllid.

Almost all of my citrus trees have come from either Stan McKenzie of McKenzie farms here in SC, and from Just Fruits and Exotics. I travel to them so that I can see the plants. They both usually have more than what is listed on their websites. I’ve never bought mail order citrus.

Yes, the roots can get overheated easily in Southern summers. That’s why I had them either in pots within stoneware pots with an airspace between, or at least where the pots themselves were in midday and afternoon shades. Still, our UV index has been 10+. Combine that with high reflectivity in the area and plants have been getting leaf burn. I even lost some fruits to sunburn. So, Ive been moving them to where they lose their decorative value, but are better protected for their own well being.

I second that! It can take me a very long time to eat one small mandarin because I savor everything starting with the appearance, feel, and scent of skin. When there is something I enjoy I take the time to soak in every aspect of the experience of eating it. Eating good citrus is an experience that fills the senses.

1 Like