Gino’s Black

Barnisotte

GM #171 ‘Gludi’

Florea

Black Greek

Italian 258

Tatnall Red

6 Likes

nice,fig collection。which one is the sweetest?

Love it! Keep 'em coming!

Nice, what camera are you using?

I’d say that your figs look luscious, but it would be an understatement.
Those pics deserve an NSFW warning. They’re absolutely seductive! Beautiful figs. Great camera work.

Florea, LdA, Tatnall and Gludi are all mild flavored and can be very sweet. Brunswick is the sweetest fig I have ever tried but had very little acidity and approached cloying.

It’s an Olympus 590 uz. Diffused light is the real secret :wink:

Yes, on a cloudy day! Are you using some sort of diffuser? I used to have a good 35 MM SLR, I need a real digital camera bad! Well it’s more than that, nice elements, framing etc, good job, Very professional looking.

I have a few different spots and they work better or worse depending on the time of day. Late in the day a shaded spot near a west facing wall to bounce some light works great. During the day a shady spot that has some exposure to blue sky usually works. You just gotta pick up and move if it’s not working or maybe wait until later in the day. Clouds probably do help.

Thanks for ideas. Now the hard part producing the figs! Well other fruit too! Also I do need a better camera. I will work with what I have for now.

Easton Vasilika looks delicious. How does it taste?

Nice photos, thanks for sharing. Only another 6 months til fig season '16!

Hoosierbanana, great photos! I am looking for a ‘green fig’ that I ate right from the tree in Italy. You could easily eat twelve at a time! That good and sweet. Any ideas as to what it was? Many thanks! (always best to shoot on cloudy days).

mrsg47,

According to Delvi83, who’s in Italy, in this forum thread: http://forums.homeorchardsociety.org/discuss/general-forum/growing-figs-west-of-the-cascades-pnw/

The common green figs there are Dottato (which apparently is Kadota) and Brogiotto Bianco.

I hear those are good! I’m so full, I can’t add anymore. The stream of great figs is just about endless!
What does Brogiotto mean? I just picked up some cuttings of Brogiotto Nero Fig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE4E79wHruo

Thank you so much. There were so good I just cannot forget them.

Mrs. G.

If you want more Italian figs, check out Figtrees.net. This guy sells Italian figs in Roslindale, Boston suburb.

I bought a Paradiso from his nursery and am interested in La Goccia D’oro.

If you visit Boston, you should stop by his nursery. You’ll be very tempted to buy more than you plan to.

2 Likes

It has a nice strawberry flavor and is very sweet. It seems closely related to Battaglia Green, and Adriatic JH.

1 Like

There is a great Italian fig website with many pictures that it is currently down but maybe it will be back soon… ficuscarica.com

It would help if you can remember the size and shape of the figs, as well as the specific redness of the interior and if the exterior turned yellow at all. It was not necessarily an Italian fig, the Etna figs for example (which at the very least are closely related if not mutations of the same plant) are reported to come to the US from France (MBVS), Italy (Sal’s, Gino’s, Mongibello, HC), Greece (Black Greek, Mavra Sika), Lebanon (Red Lebanese Bekaa), Portugal (Dark Portuguese). But it is thought they originated on Mt. Etna at elevation.

Dalmatie is a very old variety, the figs arelarge, oblong, with a dark red center and the tree has deeply lobed finger like leaves. It was brought to the PNW by an Italian sailor under the name Stella. It also was brought from Greece as Vasilika Sika by the former Bellecare nursery.

Wow, you are a wealth of fig information!
@mrsg47 I have an extra rooted Battaglia Green, if I can keep it alive till spring, you can have it. Matt in Maryland sent me the cuttings. It’s a small cutting but rooted easily! A very vigorous grower!
A photo of the fruit from Garden Web (looks under-rip!)

It may ripen late though, not sure if we will have much luck with it in our shorter season areas?
Some seem smaller too! This might be more what we can expect.

Hopefully I can keep the cuttings alive! (The two in the foreground). Stems are small diameter.

1 Like