Somebody please tell me this works (for removing seeds)

For raspberry, currant, and other seedy berries I have been using a hand held sieve and a spoon to sift the seeds. After a few quarts it gets really old, slow, and tedious. I was hoping to find a sieve with a bigger mesh to make it easier when I spotted this:

Does anybody uses one? if so how do you like it?

3 Likes

i have one i bought from ebay but keep forgetting to use it. with all the b. currant bushes i got going im going to have to use it as i wont be able to process them fast enough the other way.

I used one of these for juicing my elderberries to make jelly. I don’t know how elderberry seeds compare size-wise to raspberries, but this thing does an AMAZING job on elderberries. And the thing is mainly advertized for tomatoes, and I don’t think it gets a lot smaller than tomato seeds.
squeezer

1 Like

I use a Foley food mill

1 Like

The classic homesteader’s tool is the ‘Squeezo Strainer’. Comes with screen for tomato seeds. Can order berry seed screen and pumpkin seed screen. Your pictured mill works but requires a lot more effort!

Sadly it is 10 times the price. Does that means 10 times the performance?

What is wrong with eating seeds

2 Likes

The product works well. But it can be tedious too! I used it to remove tomato seeds and skin. It worked well but was a hell of a lot of work. Currants would be easy. I though like using the hand held sieve with a pestle, don’t use a spoon.
Much of the pulp is removed unless you keep pressing. If you want the pulp use the French style food mill. It should remove raspberry seeds if it removes tomato. I never tried it with raspberries. The screens will rust if left wet. Dry quickly. Well the acid in the tomatoes certainly doesn’t help them. I always do raspberries with the hand held sieve.
Easier clean up nothing to put together and the food mill takes a lot of storage space too. But you can make apple sauce now😬

1 Like

I like my raspberry preserves with about 50% of the seeds. More than that it just feels like too much. Wild (American) cranberries have that big flat seed that is a tad too much.

2 Likes

I made Saskatoon jam for canning and I was amazed how much the seeds swelled in cooking. They increased size about 4 fold. Removing those seeds would have been a good idea.

2 Likes

I have two, one like yours and an XO. Love both of them!

The thing about saskatoons is that we looooove to make oatmeal bars with them. The mush is a mess, very hard to extract all the juice once it gets cooking. So we don’t bother and leave it as a fairly moist mush that we mix into the oatmeal bars. There the seeds just disappear.

3 Likes

ive read somewhere that alot of the health benefits are in the seeds and skin of berries and fruit so when i can, i leave them in, within reason of course.

1 Like

I have an OXO mill that looks very similar and it works great for straining raspberry seeds for the best seedless raspberry topping ever.
I also use it to process applesauce very quickly. I just cut up the apples and toss them into the Instant Pot or a large pot with a little water, cook them till they’re soft, then run them through the mill, skins and all.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback on the OXO food mill and raspberry seeds. It was exactly the information I was hoping to find.

1 Like

Raspberries have seeds ???

I must be very seed tollerant… never even noticed them.

Same for strawberries, blackberries… yes i know they are there but dont mind them at all.

The only jam i make uses chia seeds for thickener … and i dont notice those either.

Now muscadine and seeded grapes… i do notice those.

I have one of those food mill devices… have not used it yet. I hope it works ok on persimmons.

I know most people love theirs, and after so many positive recommendations, I finally bought one about 10 years ago.
I do not like mine. I need to just sell it, rather than let it take up space in my cupboard.
I have a tomato screen and a berry screen. I think there is third one too, but can’t remember for sure.
Mine gets plugged up. I have to dismantle and clean it every so often while processing both blackberries and tomatoes. I find this very annoying as well as really messy.
I’ve contemplated trying a Foley mill again. I used an old antique one years and years ago. It wasn’t ideal either, but it sure was easier to use and clean up.

I’m sure if you post it on Craigslist, there will be some takers.
My 40-year-old one works well for me.

I don’t know why mine plugs up… There doesn’t appear to be anything wrong with it. But it is such a mess to take it all apart and clean it out when you are in the middle of processing a huge batch of tomatoes.
I am sure I can sell it. I am just a procrastinator. And an optimist (or I avoid reality?)… every season I think , “it can’t be that bad. I’ll try it again.” :roll_eyes:

1 Like