Something to do during dreary winters, or year round

It’s 75 here at the moment (cold doesn’t get here until Thursday night) but send it here anyway—I can almost smell that bread!!! Beautiful loaves!

@k8tpayaso, me too. as soon as I saw the pic i swear I smelled fresh baked bread.

I second that notion. Rain and a few snowflakes here today. In other words cold miserable storm. Fresh bread and hot soups are great on days like this.
Beautiful bread! @marknmt

One of my favorite things to eat is moms home made rolls with butter and fruit jam.

I mostly eat low carb now but that bread looks so good I don’t think I could resist._

Bill, it isn’t just high carb, it’s all carb! But it’s all complex carbs (whole wheat and oatmeal) with a smidgen of butter and molasses, if that helps at all.

I eat one slice a day, buttered, with a fried egg, and one slice with butter and jam. Well, and then last night we had sandwiches, since we had that fresh bread to use …

Do you freeze it?

Yah, double wrapped. It holds up pretty well, plus we eat most of it as toast. And, it’s easier to slice after it has been frozen.

I’ll take two loaves please!

If you like baking bread I highly recommend Rose Levy Barenbaum’s “The Bread Bible”. Actually, all of her books are excellent. Beautiful loaves Mark!

no need to rationalize, i mean, if it has been said that the brain uses up 20% of the body’s total calorie needs, it also has been said that more than 50% of the calorie requirements is assigned to keep the body warm.

so burn, baby, burn!

Dr Zeuss’es are wild

and below are the spitting images, if that’s a double entendre :wink:

Once a year, I read this:

Thoreau, Henry D. “Wild Apples.” Atlantic Monthly Nov. 1862. Henry David Thoreau Online. 28 Feb. 2019 <http://www.thoreau-online.org/wild-apples.html>.

if it is true that northerners tend to be avid readers(and as some of you say, smarter), it is because your long, cold winters force you to be :wink:

Yesterday I mixed up some 5-1-1 for spring. I was going crazy for something to do.image image image image image image image image

The monster can was supposed to be first lol.

never seen myco soil-mixes for sale here in vegas. Many say myco’s are to soil what yogurt is to humans.

I just used it because I was about out of peat. It’s pretty cheap around here, 12-15 bucks for 2 cubic feet.

just looked it up and seems like it has proprietary mycorrhizae. Much like yakult is vs. regular yogurt. I guess.

Myco’s aren’t well understood, but they must be mechanism behind how non-leguminous plants manage to get nitrogen in depleted soils, and how many plants manage to survive in otherwise barren soil, simply by “inoculating”, say, barren desert soils with forest-derived compost/soil mixes.

funny that we typically associate germs/microflora and microfauna with diseases, but for the most part, they are our friends. I often tell my folks that yogurt is one type of food they’d want to be teeming with germs. If germ-free, then it must be spoiled, lol