Something to do during dreary winters, or year round

quite fulfilling endeavor @disc4tw
here in vegas, we volunteer at school gardens, most especially to teach grafting, which may spark some interest/curiosity among kids, hopefully to get them dabbling in trees/nature for the rest of their lives :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Teaching is one of the best ways I can think of to pay it forward for the knowledge I’ve gained from this wonderful community. I think I will include a section on grafting as part of my presentation, but it will primarily serve as an introduction to get people excited about fruits they may not be considering like pawpaws, persimmons, jujubes, and mulberries :wink:

1 Like

Your outreach will pay exponentially.

Long-lived, nutritious, and low or zero-maintenance fruit species sure are worthy of your time, as well as your audience’s :slight_smile:

have to say i wish can grow pawpaws in the desert…

2 Likes

I am confident that you could with the proper soil amendments/mulching, varieties selected to tolerate similar conditions (like what @clarkinks is doing), and a bit more irrigation than is standard for your jujubes. I think you guys get enough chill hours, if not selecting for that would be important too.

that is so encouraging to hear, and quite tempted to give it a try! Have to say still have qualms about subjecting a humid-native species to vegas’ air-fryer summers…
Will have toplant it on the north side of the property to minimize direct noon-sunlight

Yep from the sounds of it Clark’s trees would be great for harsh conditions. You may want to get some ground prepared and get seeds from him when available. That’s the route I’d probably take for pushing into the desert.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips!
will definitely try it once we’ve finalized whether or not to move to another state(we were thinking about austin TX which is likely to be more favorable to pawpaws)

2 Likes

got turtles?

man-o-the-woods bird feeder/bath

these vikings keep rejecting a horn. Will have to put iron nails to connect them to the head on the next cement pouring

4 Likes

I like your cement figures :blush:, maybe you have to work with iron rods or steel wire like with steel concrete, so that the horns stay on

I would advise you to bend iron rods so that the horns are attached to the internal structure, sort of a T shape in the middle of the face

1 Like

yeah, we have so many broken plastic clothes hangers that have cracked, so will use their metal hooks for the job :slight_smile:

2 Likes

cute little lions and a snarly wolf

6 Likes

that this big bad wolf took less than a month to be delivered(shipped from a concrete mold business in Ukraine) makes me think things are no longer as intense over there. The first shipment took more than 2 months was afraid the store got bombed.

2 Likes

what they look like popped from the molds

2 Likes

folklore characters of the woods

5 Likes

no prostate problems these guys lol

2 Likes

You need to set these up to water your trees!

2 Likes

they sure deserve getting enshrined on concrete pedestals

i mean, they are supposedly >700 yr old tiki men-- still showing off they don’t need flomax :smile: