Something to do during dreary winters, or year round

Thats beautiful. Is this in Vegas?

1 Like

Yeah, that is just wow! Reminds me of manicured gardens in France

not sure about manicured(cause it is not) but thank you!
stonework/masonry just happen to impart the old world look . Even bermuda grass, crab grass, and tumbleweed look nice… haha

and yes, it is our little yard in vegas

2 Likes

It’s so beauriful. Showed my mom your video and she loves it. Your yard is so lush it does not even look like it is in the desert.

2 Likes

Beautiful!
Those elements make a mood.
Great work done…

1 Like

Thanks @adammar :slight_smile:

been preoccupied with so many things, but just had to order below when found out it was a small business based in Ukraine.

that these were shipped from a warzone makes it more valuable

had to blur the photo below lest we get flagged(again)

5 Likes

Yes, we bought our house more for the lot than for the house. I don’t regret it one bit.
John S

1 Like

In Kentucky we don’t have what I consider winter anymore it’s more like a spring, fall mix… thunderstorms and tornadoes have replaced most snow events. It’s really my most productive time of the year as far as working outside and planting trees.

2 Likes

What are they?

1 Like

in winter i turn on leds and put plants under them.
a lot of strawberries because after a few weeks they start blooming again to experiment with it. or physalis which you can harvest in spring etc…

1 Like

they are concrete molds made out of plastic to make bas-relief plaques/busts. Just pour a slurry of cement on the hollow side of it.
below are photos of one mold, the positive and the negative.

3 Likes

I don’t know if it fits the topic or is of interest. but if you want to make sculptures out of aluminum. you can make some out of styrofoam, bury them in sand and pour liquid aluminum in, the styrofoam evaporates and aluminum takes the form. it is probably also possible with other metals, but it is difficult to make them hot enough to become liquid.

If you want to make sculptures out of Metall instead of cement

1 Like

that sounds so cool(or should i say, hot). I wish had access to a metal foundry

1 Like

cement is also very cool.
someone once invented kneadable concrete.
where you can knead figures yourself and then turn them into stone. maybe that’s something cool too.

you can build a melting furnace yourself for melting aluminum, look at youtube. you don’t need much for it. a weed burner and a chamber made of cement… will do.
Of course be carful

2 Likes

it sure is interesting @Kaki-pistacia . Will definitely look into it :slight_smile:

1 Like

one more thing we like about winter-- it is the most optimal time(for both the mother plant and clones) to poach root cuttings from self-rooted jujus, and below is our puppy mill wholesale attempts in multiplying vegas booty/cutie/lucky/honey/pasas/bounty/kinky. Intent is to give them all away for adoption :slight_smile:

in these seemingly empty pots are precious bits and pieces of roots from seed-grown cultivars.

would be so happy to anticipate even just a 50% leafing out. Can’t wait!

7 Likes

first finished products of the molds from Ukraine.

botched one of them(likely due to overnight freeze before fully setting), but otherwise looking good

am beginning to like pure portland cement, as the ultra-fine powder makes the details more defined compared to masonry mixes which contain coarse sand.
the blue-gray hue also enhances the haunting aura

7 Likes

Beautiful Raf. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I’ve been reading a few more pruning and orchard books, researching the fruits I’m most passionate about, and beginning to put together an outline for a presentation I volunteered to give on low maintenance backyard fruits. That will take many hours to put together as it is a 40 minute presentation and I need to figure out the most relevant information and sources to share. I’m also planning on putting together a flyer with basic species lists/uses/benefits and what kind of supplies and investments might be required for a small backyard operation.

2 Likes