Sour orange flavor and heat

What’s the story on heat requirements for Seville orange or Bergamot orange? I’m talking full-flavor fruit here!

We live in a marginal citrus climate (California Bay Area) because we don’t get the kind of heat that allows most sweet varieties to ripen into tasty fruit . We are relatively frost-free and the trees tend to do well here, but our experience is that fruit like oranges, grapefruit, or mandarins are not worth growing because they never get the right flavor and sweetness. Lemons do very well, however, as well as other non-sweet citrus (like Bearss’ lime, which we have grown for years).

I would love to grow oranges for marmalade but do wonder if the flavor will develop properly. Would love to hear from others!

2 Likes

@Richard may have some ideas on varities that may do better there @MaracujA.

3 Likes

@MaracujA
I expect heat-loving citrus such as Oroblanco grapefruit and Seville bitter orange to not ripen fully in your location.

1 Like

Would kumquats or the more cold tolerant/early mandarins (the one people grow with protection in Zone 8) do better?

3 Likes

I have several large Fukushu kumquat trees that flower then drop all fruits and I am wondering if it is not hot enough here to hold fruit

5 ft dia 9nfeet tall

2 Likes

@MaracujA
Consider this citrus:

2 Likes

It’s helpful to know that you think of Seville oranges as heat-loving. This is exactly what I’m after.

Interesting that you also name Oro Blanco. Local wisdom says the one grapefruit that does work here is Oro Blanco. Personally, having tried it (our neighbor down the street has it), I think it does work—tho my partner insists it lacks proper flavor, likely due to a lack of heat here. I’m sure it would taste better to me grown elsewhere.

2 Likes

We don’t really get much frost,
and can see many mature frost-sensitive citruses in the neighborhood, so we don’t necessarily need cold-hardy varieties. Mandarin trees and kumquat trees will certainly grow here, tho we seem to lack the kind of heat those need for a good/tasty crop of fruit. I wish we could grow those two, as they’re some of my favorites!

2 Likes

New Zealand grapefruit is one that is supposed to be able to ripen well without a lot of heat.

3 Likes

Very interesting! I’ll keep my eye out for this one now. Thx

1 Like

Update: I think we will try the Seville orange after all. We found a local chef who makes marmalade with his Seville oranges every year. I haven’t tried the marmalade, but trust he has his standards, and he’s put in the effort each year. I’ve also been discussing with a nursery, and they advise that sour oranges will absolutely ripen well in my area, unlike clementines, grapefruits, and the vast majority of sweet oranges (Trovita is apparently worth a shot, even if it doesn’t fully sweeten as it would in hotter areas.) They are experienced with my area in particular, and they have many alternatives to sell me, so I’m inclined to believe them—or at least inclined to give it a shot.

I’ll plan to post updates, as I very much value those over-time threads, and hope to contribute in that way.

I was very tempted to try the NZ grapefruit instead, but my partner is against planting trees of fruit she’s never tasted, especially now that it seems the Seville orange is a viable option. I’ll have to try it as a graft!

3 Likes