Source for cherry scions

Looking for a reliable source for cherry scions for next year. A commercial source is fine as these will be used in my nursery business.

Thanks!

Thats a good question. Botner was my main source but he is no longer selling.

Scott

USDA/GRIN has a few gems such as Black Eagle and Van Spur, etc.

Use the search box at top left of the screen:

http://www.ars-grin.gov

Cherries listed as Prunus Avium. You can obtain scionwood by clicking the “Request This Germplasm” links.

Matt I have used GRIN in the past for select items especially apples and pears. GRIN is a great resource, unfortunately they arent in the business of providing large quantities to individuals. I simply dont have room for mother trees of every fruit and variety.

A couple years ago I ordered some cherry budwood from Bob Purvis in Idaho. I think he does scionwood too but I was too late for the season. Here is the address I have:

purvisrc@msn.com

Let him know what you are interested in and he will email a list. Also has a few other fruits I think.

1 Like

Hi,

I recently came across a little nursery in WA called Skipley Farm (www.skipleyfarm.org) that offers rootstock and scion wood. It seems like pretty much a one-man shop, run by a friendly guy named Gil. His list of Chery scion wood on the site is:

Surefire; Kristen; Glacier; Montmorency; Skeena; Vandalay; Lapins; Sweehart; Compact Stella; Stella; Van

I think the rootstock I ordered from him will come tomorrow, so I’ll get a better sense of the quality of what he offers but the price was certainly good.

I forgot about Bob Purvis. I have his list scionwood from a few years ago and it has 15 different cherries on it.

Attika
Bing
Benton
Black Gold
Gold
Kristen
Lambert
Lapins
Rainier
Salmo
Santina
Selah
Tieton
Utah Giant
Van
White Gold

Scott

Hi Bob,

I received your contact information on Growing Fruit… The reason for my e-mail is to know if you are still selling Van, Bing, and Lapins scion wood. If you are selling these scions, please give me a reply to this e-mail.

Regards,
Mario