Southern Home Grape/Muscadine 2017 fruit cluster size

Last year these large clusters of over 100 fruit buds dropped down to about 10-15 and ended up producing a good crop for a 2nd year vine. The SH has large clusters of fruit buds going into this year and I’m curious to see what happens to the clusters. I was hoping for the long grape like clusters.

3 Likes

Are you sure that’s a SH, the leaves in the picture look like pure muscadine?

1 Like

Side by side with my other muscadines I can’t tell that there is any difference in the leaves. The SH is roughly 3/4 muscadine which would indicate the tendency toward being similar. Richard and I did a 2016 comparison on this forum of his and the one I have last year and to me I didn’t see any difference between the two. With all that being said I have no way to verify if it is correct but I think that it is SH.

1 Like

All the pictures and videos I have seen always remark about the unusual lobed leaves but I do remember your fruit did match. I got a Razzmatazz hybrid grape this year and its’ leaves also look exactly like the other muscadines.

1 Like

Here is a video I remembered seeing showing the SH at 8:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcrRRZgnk8Q

1 Like

Leaf from my Southern Home Grape. The leaves are still not full size but the fig looking leaf is starting to show. Thanks @c5tiger at least I know how to verify the variety.

3 Likes

@Auburn’s photos of foliage and fruit match my SH grape vine.

The Razzmatazz looks more like a grape and the clusters of fruit are larger. Looking forward to seeing some updates and your opinions about it. Bill

I bought Late Fry and Supreme from Isons and got nice 4’ -5’ tall plants. The Supreme died maybe because of the late freeze so I bought a Darlene from a local nursery. The Razzmatazz Gurneys sent was 3" tall with about the same amount of roots. I am pushing it hard with water and fertilizer but it has a long way to go before I see any fruit.

2 Likes

I planted an absolutely tiny Razzmatazz grape last fall and should also be able to provide an update on its behavior at some point but I don’t expect any fruit this year. (It has come out of dormancy and is starting to grow… but it is literally a few inches tall.)

It would be great if it lived up to its description.

3 Likes

Looks like my other Southern Home vine is going to have another heavy bloom right before the first one start to ripen.

4 Likes