Southern or Northern Highbush Blueberry Bushes?

Pink Lemonade has a mixture of Rabbiteye and Northern Highbush.Here is more from the USDA:
“Pink Lemonade resulted from the crossing of two parent plants—an experimental blueberry developed by Nicholi Vorsa, a Rutgers University scientist stationed at the Chatsworth center, and a commercial blueberry, Delite, which was developed by USDA and the University of Georgia. Ehlenfeldt crossed these two plants in 1991 and, in 1996, chose one of the offspring—designated as “Selection Number ARS 96-138”—for further testing.
While Ehlenfeldt was scrutinizing the plant’s performance in New Jersey test plots, colleague Chad E. Finn, a plant geneticist in the ARS Horticultural Crops Research Unit in Corvallis, Oregon, was evaluating it on the West Coast, in response to interest by the plant nursery industry in that region.
Based on that interest and the good scores that ARS 96-138 achieved in these evaluations, the scientists formally released the variety in 2005, assigning the selection number as its identifier. In 2007, to help build market identity for the plant, the researchers named it “Pink Lemonade.”
That experimental Blueberry mentioned above,was a Northern Highbush and the Delite,a Rabbiteye.So,any NH or Rabbiteye should be sufficient for cross pollination.In fact during the time I had a PL and no Rabbiteyes,my plant produced a lot of berries.Also,there are a number of sources that state,that PL is like many Blueberry plants,self-fertile,but do better with a different variety.
I’ll look around online for a Spartan.They are fairly common.I’ve seen them sometimes at places like Home Depot.

1 Like

Thank you!

Why do you no longer have a pink lemonade, if you don’t mind my asking.

I have not heard of nocturne. I will have to look that one up.

I guess my messaging was more to point out the self fertile part of Pink Lemonade.There are two plants actually.
There are a number of places,that have Spartan,by doing a short online search.
Burnt Ridge Nursery-Large potted-$21
Raintree-2 liter pot-$30
One Green World-1 gallon-$18,2 gallon-$30
Shipping is also going to add more,so maybe check local first.

1 Like

Thank you!

I found nocturne at a local nursery - they are holding one for me.

Said they are 1 gallon, not very big (about 12") and $20.99.

A little steep on price but it’s right there close to you. A good price would be 12 bucks so not that bad. With shipping it would be more than twenty. So they got you either way.

I feel like everything is expensive in California.

Do you think I should get to you? Do you get a lot of berries on one?

I just picked up my nocturne and I just got the one but it’s a pretty nice plant. I was looking at the others, but they got hit by a brutal hailstorm and I had called last week to have them hold me a nocturne blueberry, and they kept it inside near the front so mine missed out on the horrible hailstorm and looks pretty nice. Also - it is more like 2 feet tall instead of 1. While I was there, I grabbed a bundle of Chandler bareroot strawberries as they were the only bare root they had, but I wanted to try another variety because the variety that I’ve been growing seems to not produce very well.

I just ordered a Spartan, from OGW. I was already getting a fig and could not find Spartan locally for some reason……but with the 4 pack from Costco (2 bluecrop , 2 patriot), the Spartan you recommended and the Nocturne that @Drew51 recommended, I am probably done adding blueberries for now.

I did find Nocturne locally, so that was nice.

Before I added the above, I had Legacy, Sweetheart, pink lemonade and sharp blue.

1 Like

I would recommend Spartan too. Nice plant, early, classic blueberry flavor. You’ll need a few years before they really produce well.

That is good to hear, I’d like to get things that are recommended by people who got to try them first

I’ve heard bluecrop and patriot are just average.but good producers and it was 4 for $44 and they look healthy.

Hey fresh blueberries ( and other fruits) are great no matter what cultivar.

From my garden.

1 Like

Nice looking variety!

1 Like