Southmoon Blueberry fruiting early?

It’s End of January and there are blooms, some fruiting as well. Is this normal for zone 9b?

1 Like

I don’t have to look at the 10 day forecast: inground figs already gone , next week it might kill the rest below ground. Got to rely on my container trees again.
Might bring in a backhoe, take them all out.
Sorry, wrong reply to post.

That’s not unusual in your zone. It’s all good if you don’t get a freeze. If you do try to protect it.

Some yrs bloom will be a lot earlier than others. It depends on the weather. But those low chill southern high bush don’t need much chilling or heat afterwards in order to bloom.

1 Like

This year has been weird. My citrus trees have a few second crop fruits from blooms in Nov-Dec. Emerald Drop and Dapple Supreme pluots are already in popcorn bloom stage. Sauzee Swirl peach is leafing out. Probably combination of above average chill in Dec and very warm Jan.

2 Likes

Exactly, it’s all about the weather in those zones in CA.

Ok got it. Does that mean we should start fertilizing early?

1 Like

Feb usually has a few cold freeze here so I’d still wait. But it shouldn’t harm too much either.

Makes sense, thanks

What fertilizer schedule for blueberries ? Most of my blueberries are blooming but I am not sure to fertilize after harvesting or just get started after the last freeze?