Southwest ohio Chill hrs and peach trees variety

Drew, I have a bunch of Redskin if you do want it this year. I’m back after a long absence (illness, but nothing serious, just long) after seeing that I really need to offer scionwood to folks instead of pitching it out. My trees are getting big, and that’s so exciting :slight_smile:

Thanks, I should probably take you up if you don’t mind? I’ll PM you tomorrow., Yes it is nice after waiting and mine took forever due to super bad weather and my bad luck. At last the last few years have been sweet.

Great information Olpea. It does help to read what others here are saying about these issues. Saves a lot of time instead of doing something that does not work before you do it.

I ditto what Drew51 mentioned about expanding your peach season with three different varieties. I also agree with you about the tree peach factors I looked for. Size was not the primary thing I looked for. Taste was #1 and productivity was #2. A big tasteless peach you get only a dozen off a tree you plant is a waste of growing space IMO.

The thing with peaches is once they start ripening you HAVE to do something with them all.
I thought I may not get a lot of peaches off my peach trees. I live in an area that may or may not get many peaches. It is because of the frosts/freezes we get at peach blossom time. I ordered 4 trees, three different varieties and ripening times. The peaches were plentiful last year. Many more than what I imagined I would be getting on four year old peach trees. Not complaining mind you, just a lot of work to get them all processed before they were too ripe to use. I made a lot of peach preserves.

Just something to think about when ordering or growing peach trees.

3 Likes

I am in NE Ohio, a little colder than you but otherwise similar. Veteran, Madison, Contender, Red Haven are some standard peaches recommended for our area and in my experience they do pretty well contending with frost in the spring, though not always. There is a good chance that you have soggy soil much of the year, especially in the spring. Peach trees don’t do well in poorly drained soil. If this is the case, consider planting your trees in a raised mound. A 6’ diameter circle 12-18" high would be good. This has worked well for me in my wet soil so far. Good Luck!

4 Likes

Good suggestions for the tree varieties and about the raised beds. We (OHIO) do get a lot of rain in the spring and lots of soggy ground. Such as we are getting all the rain now. My yard is soggy and I have standing water that has been here all week long, in February! I have my peach trees on the top of a small little hill I have specifically because of the wet feet these trees would get if I had them in other areas on my property.

2 Likes