Spalding pear aka Spaulding pear

Anyone have an update on the Spalding pear? When it fruits , how it tastes, any information might be helpful. I have a remote location i grafted a backup scion years ago and it did take and it will fruit once the late freezes stop. Very little is known about this pear. It may be an unimportant variety but then why save it? I suspect it tastes at least as good as kieffer. We might be very surprised by this pear. The usda did say one parent might be pineapple and this

Developed

1. Georgia, United States
    Comment: Cultivar introduced in 1982
    Developer(s):
    Chandler, W.A.Daniell, J.W.Krewer, Gerard University of GeorgiaLane, Ron University of Georgia

Donated

02 February 1990. West Virginia, United States
Comment: Scions received from R.L. Bell to NCGR-Corvallis
Donator(s):
Bell, Richard L. USDA, ARS

2 Likes

Don’t keep notes, but I grew it at my Houston home. Very tasty pear and eat off tree. Grew up in South and only grow pears that are crisp and you can eat off the tree. Mine were medium size and very sweet and crisp every year. Self fruitful and no problems with blight.

3 Likes

Clark,
Spalding is one of a dozen or so I grafted in the second orchard area on the other side of the farm pond, 20 yrs ago…deer ate almost all the pop can labels, but I’m pretty sure which one is Spalding. No FB issues, bears heavily, tasty, probably would be regarded by most as superior to Keiffer.

1 Like

That’s great information @Lucky_P . Pears that can survive a. Challenging area like that are worth their wait in gold. The area I have this one grafted is challenging. It’s full of deer in there.

@kingwood

That’s a great endorsement. That’s one of the most challenging areas to grow pears.

Found out a little more on this pear

"
Pyrus communis ‘Spalding’

If you like the crunchy, juicy, sweetness of an Asian pear and the mellow complex flavor of a European pear, you will love Spalding. A healthy, vigorous tree produces loads of medium size, round, light green fruit in early September. Originally from the South, it thrives in the Pacific Northwest - and even gardeners into Florida grow it!

This European pear is partially self fertile and fireblight resistant. Also considered low-chill, needing only 150 hours to reliably bloom and set fruit.

Hardy to USDA Zone: 5

Sun: Full Sun

Ripening Time: September

Pollination: Partially Self Fertile, better production with pollination

"

1 Like

Many times people in low chill hour requirement areas overlook this 150 chill hour pear. It can easily be grown in Texas, Florida and California. In some really warm areas of Florida they do grow spalding , florida home, and hood. @Richard may want to try it in his California orchard if he wants another September pear.

“If you like the crunchy juicy, sweetness of Asian pear and the mellow complex flavor of a European pear, you will love Spalding. A healthy, vigorous tree produces loads of medium size, round, light green/yellow fruit with white, mellow flesh. It thrives in warm, wet springs and is spread during pollination by bees. Adequate water and nutrition in the fall & winter months and helps strengthen your trees’ resistance to disease. Cold hardy to USDA plant zone 5-9. New trees can produce fruit in 2-3 years depending on care and climate. The success of new trees is heavily dependent on the care received during and after planting.”
https://justfruitsandexotics.com/product/spalding-soft-pear/
" This is a delicious soft eating pear with flavors typical of a European pear. This tree is a heavy bearer of medium, light green rounded fruit that ripen in September. The fruit’s texture holds well and, in addition to fresh eating, can be used for making preserves. This tree is resistant to fire blight, which makes it a great choice for the Southeast. The Spalding is self-fertile and makes a great pollinator for our Hood and Flordahome pears.

Harvest August -September

Cold Hardy 10-15°
Growing Zone 5A, 5B, 6A, 6B, 7A, 7B, 8A, 8B, 9A
Pollinator Self Fertile
Container Plant No
Grafted Yes, on callery pear ‘prunus calleryana’ (We find this to be best for fireblight resistance)
Mature Height 20-30 FT
Mature Width 12-15 FT
Spacing 12-15 FT
Sunlight Full Sun
https://askthegreengenie.com/spalding-pears-rediscovering-hidden-gem/
" Spalding Pears may very well be one of North Florida’s best kept edible landscaping secrets.
CHARACTERISTICS

Spalding is an utterly delicious, soft, eating pear with a complex mellow flavor typical of European pears, yet it has a crunchy, juicy sweetness like an Asian pear.

An established, mature, healthy tree produces loads of medium-sized, round, light green fruit in early September. (photo at right is a typical European pear)

The fruit holds it’s texture well and is excellent for fresh eating or even for making preserves & jams. A typical 3 gal specimen will bear fruit in 3-4 years.

At 30ft tall, the Spalding is a medium sized tree in the landscape but it can be heavily pruned to 8-18ft in cultivation. But since pears are generally a lot larger tree than a peach, plum or nectarine, it’s a good idea to leave 20-25ft between trees. It’s white flowers are about 1" in diameter, smothering the tree in the spring, and filling your yard with perfume & honey bees.

Spalding, or Spaulding as it is sometimes spelled, is amazingly fire blight resistant, too. Fire blight is a bacterial disease common to nearly all pears in the southeastern United States. It thrives in warm, wet springs and is spread during pollination by the bees. Adequate water and nutrition in the fall & winter months, helps strengthen your trees’ resistance to disease.

SPALDING PEARS

soft, eating pear with mellow flavors & crunch

POLLINATION

While most pears require a pollinator to produce a full crop or any at all, this European pear is truly self fertile! And because it blooms early with low chill hours, it makes an excellent pollinator for either of our other two favorite soft pears for North Florida: the Hood Pear and the FlordaHome (an IFAS hybrid).

SO WHEN CAN I EAT IT?

Pears have a wide variance in maturity rate: some as low as 90 days, some as long as 200 days. So pears are further divided into 2 generalities: summer pears that ripen in July-August like the ‘Bartlett’, ‘Hood’, and ‘FlordaHome’, and winter pears that are harvested much later in late Autumn and winter, like ‘Anjou’, ‘Bosc’, etc. Winter pears don’t grow in Florida, in case you’re wondering.

The Spalding is in between: it ripens in mid-September!
So while the Spalding is an excellent pollinator for either the Hood (which is like a Southern version of the ‘Bartlett’) or the FlordaHome (distinctive flavor), it also extends our fruiting season by a full 6-8 weeks!

ORIGIN

Very few nurseries in the South are cultivating the Spalding, hence it is not found commercially in very many places. In Florida, it is easier to source the Hood & the FlordaHome, though it seems to be popular in Louisiana because of its hardy resistance to Fireblight.

All it takes is one dedicated old-timer to keep a species going, and unless he is able to pass his trade to another generation, when he retires, the landscape changes – literally. Fortunately for us North Floridians, the Spalding is alive and well for now. Available to purchase for local delivery only in Alachua County:

DELICIOUS, SOFT, EATING PEAR: MELLOW FLAVOR YET CRUNCHY, JUICY, AND SWEET

Texture like a fine European pear, flavor like an Asian pear!

Originally introduced and climatized to the Southern United States, the Spalding also thrives in the Pacific Northwest. Over 90% of the pear crop in the US is grown in the Pacific Northwest and California, largely because of the ability to escape fire blight.

ORIGIN OF PEARS IN GENERAL

Of about 22 species of pears (genus Pyrus) orginating from Asia, Europe, and northern Africa, two major species make up our commercial cultivation: European pears and Asian pears.

European pears are not found in the wild, but are hybrids, many orginating more than 3000 years ago. Intense cultivation began around 1000BC.

Later the pear would emerge in ancient Roman cookbooks as a spicey, stewed delicacy. So many English medievil gardens contained pears, it gradually became a part of the natural vegetation of the forests. Asian pears on the other hand are wild varieties that were domesticated in China around the same time – roughly 1000BC.

THE BOTTOM LINE

The Spalding (or Spaulding) pear is everything a good eating pear should be: juicy, crisp, soft, sweet, and plenty of flavor. And easy to grow.

Grow the Hood if you like a Bartlett with a soft, buttery taste, grow the FlordaHome because it is a differently flavored sweet and soft pollinator for the Hood, and grow the Spalding because it is vigorous, sweet, and both crisp and soft, AND it extends your harvest by up to 2 months!

With all three, you could be harvesting pears from mid July through the end of September. Such a treasure!"

1 Like

Spalding is on my list for sure since it’s low chill, FB resistant, and seems to have decent taste reviews.

Would love to find scion, but I’ve found very few references on searching for the variety much less a scion source.

1 Like

@Shibumi

Many years ago i grafted some spalding wood on a remote callery tree in the middle of nowhere. I saw it 3 years later growing like crazy but have not been back since. No one has been there since. If i get to feeling better i will walk back in and see if it is still alive. Favor for a friend - Top working callery Pears!. I grafted it with Tenn, Spalding, and hood. 2017 is nearly 7 years ago now and it is possible anything could have happened by now.

1 Like

Oh Clark don’t go wandering about in the woods if you aren’t feeling up to it…

Maybe late winter you can take a peek. I would be on the list for a stick to try it out, but that is so far down the list from you feeling better…

1 Like

@Shibumi

No i wouldn’t put myself in jeapordy for a pear tree, but if i get better after the first of the year i will hike in there.

1 Like

I don’t know if you are like me in any way, but I find myself being quite stubborn as I get older…even when my head says otherwise.

Take care.

1 Like