Speaking of irrigation…

Speaking of irrigation… does anyone know of good sources for relatively inexpensive soaker hose systems and fittings? Drip tape and drip lines are fine too, but I’ve been reading more and more that they tend to clog up worse than the soaker hoses do.

Because not all crops need the same amount of water, nor do they all need to be watered at the same time, I’ll need about 500 linear feet.

Plus…my well doesn’t have the yield to water the whole thing at once.

I’m not sure about specifics but I used Drip Depot for all my irrigation stuff. You can buy right down to individuals T’s or emitters…

1 Like

I’ve checked them out. Seems like no matter how I slice it, I’m looking at a few hundred bucks. The problem is convincing the spousal unit that it’s worth the money. She is not as into gardening as I am.

If it’s any help let her know some guy on the forum just spent 900 dollars on Drip Depot…200 ain’t much compared to that! :face_with_raised_eyebrow::grin:

I had used soaking hose in the garden, the hoses are still left in the garden 90% clogged after few years. The cheapest and easiest way to do the dripping system is get a regular garden hose, drill holes and insert one end of small tube( the one connect to emitter,cut the length you need) in the hose and other end leads to each individual plants. No emitters are needed. only need a timer to control on/off time.

3 Likes

I have had tape out for at least 3 seasons that is still fine

1 Like

How about fertilizing?

I feel like the drip/soaker lines being right there where you want to work in the fertilizer will make it a huge pain in the tush to fertilize-you basically have to lift your irrigation lines so you can work in the fertilizer.

Just have her do the watering by hand; she’ll be onboard for a drip system in no time :wink:

1 Like

I have used drip tape in my vegie garden for 8 years or so. The tape works OK, but doesn’t turn corners, and tends to develop leaks. I generally tape over the small leaks with electrical tape, and replace the run when it has too many repairs. Also gophers seem to like chewing thru it.

I plan to trial some of the hard emitter hose (like the mainline PE hose but with emitters installed at regular intervals). That is supposed to be more durable than tape, but of course is more expensive too.

Ultimately no type of irrigation is permanent. Everything wears out and breaks eventually. But using the thicker walled emitter tubes seems to be the most durable of the drip options.

1 Like

Fertigation is the name of the game

1 Like

These are older pics but am still using the same materials that I bought about 8 years ago. just reconfigure the layout every year. I do need to replace with better emitters though.

3 Likes