Spinosad with Surround

Several have mentioned adding Spinosad to the Surround spray. I tried that, and it did seem to work much better for PC control until the little apples were big enough to bag and on pears and plums. Later I got to thinking, if you are using Spinosad, what is the point of mixing in Surround?

I don’t think Spinosad is enough to keep PC at bay on its own. I actually thought adding the spinosad was also helping with things like codling moth and maybe a bit with oriental fruit moth. I’ve just been using Surround, but was going to add Spinosad this year since each year seems to get a little more bug pressure.

Thoughts on spraying spinosad and sulphur powder mixed in same tank? I want to get them both on but don’t want to kill the trees if those two shouldn’t be mixed together.

I spray spinosad with sulphur powder and it has never caused a problem. My spray so far has been surround, Cease, spinosad, bT, and sulphur. I believe you don’t want to mix oil with sulphur.

2 Likes

Has anyone experimented to see the difference between just spraying Spinosad and mixing it with Surround? I did find that just Surround alone didn’t work real well on apples and pears, so I have added Spinosad to it. I have not tried Spinosad alone on apple or pear trees, although it took care of the potato beetles and cherry worms well. I am wondering if there is even a need to add the Surround to the Spinosad, what purpose it is serving. Once the apples reach about 3/4 inch I bag them, but there are getting to be too many to do them all now.