Spondias dulcis aka June Plum, Golden Apple, Ambarella, Pommecythere, Jobo. Why is no one growing this fruit?

So the over wintering of my June Plum has sadly encountered a disaster. Due to lack of water and a thermostat set to high power max temperature, for a week all of my crop died and dropped. The good news is there is already regrow and flower stalks.

1 Like

I am clearly premature putting the June plum out. The damage is largely wind related. But if you look closely at the buds they are strong. 45 degree nights.

My banana’s are similarly suffering. but the new leaves are growing in healthy

2 Likes

A month later we are still getting nights around 45 degrees and cold unpleasant torrential rains. I lost the indoor grown leaves to strong winds but the regrowth fares ok.

2 Likes

Filling in nicely now.

2 Likes

Mine in the ground. It’s almost die last winter, not by the cold but by the rain. I moved it to southside and planted it above grade. I’ll build a mini greenhouse for it in winter.

3 Likes

it can take quite a bit of cold. I had periods last winter when the heater was off during the cold for an extended period.

1 Like

My wife had one in her country when she was a kid. It basicly grew in a water logged swamp. What they do to propgate them is to hack off a branch and stick it in wet ground. It was likely just dormant for the cool season.

1 Like

the current flowers and the previously set flowers. Given all dehydration and cold drama it suffered last winter, visually it shrugged it off like it was nothing. But it took what felt like forever to start growing again.

3 Likes

I am taking better care of it this winter with no planned vacations. Hopefully I will not be losing all the fruit again.

image IMG_20191215_131526970%5B1%5D

image IMG_20191215_131535519%5B1%5D

image IMG_20191215_131538381%5B1%5D

2 Likes

Ripening or late droping, Sadly I think its late droping. Good news is at least the drops are suitable to eat green. Despite being delicious natives mostly seem to use them green in chutneys. I vow not to set it out to early this year for fewer setbacks.

4 Likes

My wife informs me that I might have inadvertently caused something they call “Force Ripe”. Which is something that happens it the seasons change to quickly the fruit turns yellow and falls. I am sure it happened after I saw new growth and turned the heat up on the back room.

2 Likes

Sadly to report my June Plum died. My fault i’m sure.

I joined the Logees wait list for another but I also contacted Bryan Brunner of Montoso Gardens in Puerto Rico for seeds. $15 for 10 if your interested email him at montoso.gardens@yahoo.com

1 Like

Over water? Mine died to the ground but came back in spring. June plum is every easy to do air-layer. Takes about 30 days to root. If you can wait, I can do an air-layer and just pay the shipping cost.

1 Like

I appreciate that. Post pictures of the air-layer I think everyone would like to see it.

1 Like

I should have it ready in October. Too hot here from now to the end of September.

1 Like
How are you holding up in Texas?

Did you plum make it?

1 Like

Thank you @Caesar I have wanted to replace my June Plum AKA Jobo for 2 years. I refused to buy anything from fast-growing-trees. You really saved the day and I will gladly patronize your Etsy store when you make one.

Ill post an update tomorrow after it hydrates and straightens up.

3 Likes

Glad to be of help! Keep us updated as it grows and bears. And multiply that sucker! It’s good to have backups on backups when zone pushing.

1 Like

I am, I kept my last one for 3 years till it expired.

1 Like

Dwarf Pommecthere in the Savana near my In-laws in trinidad.

2 Likes