Spray Schedule for Thrips on Nectarine

I planted a couple of nectarine trees last year. The fruit they are setting this year has what I think is thrip damage. I haven’t had any experience with thrips before, but it looks exactly like the pictures I have seen.

I ordered some Monterrey Garden Spray, which has spinosad as the active ingredient. I’m sure the fruit for this year is ruined, but can someone tell me when and how often I should spray to ensure this doesn’t happen next year?

Thank you.

1 Like

Thirps damage is mainly cosmetic. I don’t worry about thrips as the fruit is fine. If it bothers you then just cut the skin off where it is damaged.

1 Like

Spray for thrips is suggested at bloom time to right after. That’s why it is difficult because even Spinosad is toxic to bees. If you must spray, do it late in the evening after bees stop foraging.

For home orchards, thrip damage is mostly cosmetic. If you don’t want to risk killing bees, you can just live with thrip-damaged nectarines.

1 Like

You could release ladybugs, lacewing larvae and beneficial nematodes (sf are best for thrips) for thrip control also or just wait till after bloom to spray spinosad

1 Like

Thrips seem to be particularly severe on young trees, maybe because there are few fruits. All of my nectarines and Nectaplums ended up chewed up badly. But they’ve been not too bad on mature trees.

1 Like

Yes just cosmetic. I noticed when I lived in San Jose that only my nectarines got thrips not the peaches. So if you don’t mind fuzzy skin go for more peaches.

1 Like

Everyone here seems to agree that it’s just cosmetic, so maybe I’ll just be patient and see how it plays out. Last year one of the trees had two nectarines on it. Both fruit were so deformed that they just rotted on the tree, so that’s what got me worried when I saw signs of it again this year.

Will organza bags help against Thrips?