Spring Satin Harvest

I’m not sure but it appears to be a mixture of nitrogen/potassium etc. Ray can do a better job describing it.

I added a graft last year. It is big enough to let it have a couple fruit. Looking forward to trying it!
Next year I’ll get more. Looks like a cool fruit. Here spring is so late late freezes are rarely a concern. Funny as Ray’s is ripe, I just have had fruitlets form. So it will be some time before it’s ripe!

Meanwhile in Alaska, buds just starting to swell/push on some things, others not indicating yet whether they survived the winter.

1 Like

My SS also has velvety skin. It could be environmental, your fruits look the same otherwise. If I rub mine they still shine up like a regular plum, but its not like the yeast bloom on a normal plum.

PS here is about what mine look like, found this picture via Google (where they described it as “velvety skin”):

7 Likes

Fantastic!

1 Like

The Spring Satin I grew also had velvety skin, looked just like Scott’s, unfortunately my tree died. Dogs chewed up drip line while on vacation. A generous forum member has offered it up for trade and I should have fruits in a couple of years again. I wonder if some nursery has mixed up Spring Satin with Flavorosa pluot, both are good fruit, early, and look similar.

1 Like

I lost my plum crop this year to freeze for the second year in a row. My Spring Satin always has a slight fuzzy skin, very noticeable right after bloom, almost looks like a peach.

2 Likes

I think you’re onto something. I used to grow Flavorich and it looked
identical to Scott’s picture. A lot of pluots look very much alike, but I
know I have the real SS, because SS is the only (pluot/plumcot) that Cumberland Valley sells.

1 Like

I thought S S has velvet appearance,I googled it online,here is description from ARS /USDA:
Spring Satin produces beautiful white flowers that bloom in mid March. The large, high-quality fruit ripen in late May, a time of year when high-quality fruit is in limited supply. When fully ripe, these fruits have a very good flavor.

The short fuzz plumcot is about two inches in diameter. This vibrant beauty has yellow flesh when immature, changing to a yellowish-red when mature.

2 Likes

They look really good!

Hey could you keep those vortex’s up there and stop dropping them on Michigan? Thanks for the break this year! Two years in a row before that. Man, it was cold here, and the Great Lakes absorb that cold, we are still not down to normal water temps yet. I’ll sent you fruit, whatever it takes :slight_smile:
I’m hedging all bets and planted arctic raspberries this year.

3 Likes

I think its the other way around if anything. The fuzz is part of the cot ancestry, and it looks a bit like satin fabric thus the name. So either its something environmental or you have some other variety. What do the small fruits look like? Mine look much more like apricots than plums, very non-shiny skin. The skin gets shinier as they grow out.

1 Like

All of my fruits look the same no matter what size they are. I’ve never
grown apricots, so I can’t respond to that comment. Maybe it’s the environmental aspect

That is where I got mine from, but mine has fuzzy skin.

1 Like

What I take as most characteristic of SS is the very small size of the blooms and the great profusion of them

This is the 5th picking from this tree, and there is still more to go.
Notice how these are a little darker, because I let them stay on the tree
a little longer, but there is still no “velvet.”! What appears to be velvet are fine water droplets from the faucet sprayer.Spring Satin Plumcot 001|690x920

4 Likes

Do you eat them all fresh? If not, please add a recipe to cooking with fruit ,please!

1 Like

@rayrose. You are now the envy of the Spring Satin neighborhood. I’m really considering spraying KDL next year. I don’t suppose it is practical for a person to DIY a mixture?

I’m still picking curc-infested fruits off of mine. Man, is that tree a curc magnet or what! Both the fuzz and the roundness seem to be curc attractants. Satsuma which is not fuzzy and is very pointed has zero curc bites, compare this to Spring Satin which I have had to pull half the fruits off of.

I eat everything that I grow fresh. I’m a BIG consumer of fresh fruit, and
always ice cold. I ate this entire batch yesterday and last night, while
watching the ball games.

3 Likes