Spur Arkansas Black

7 Likes

I wish I could grow Arkansas Black, and I’m amazed to see you have it ripening already. Is the spur earlier than AB, or am I confused?

2 Likes

I think my early ripening is due to more than one reason. Pretty sure bagging combined with our high summer temperatures is the major reasons. Korean Giant based on most reporting ripens in October but I picked my last ones today. Some of my trees are still young and this might be contributing to early ripening. I’m learning to just accept what the trees offer but I really wanted some to ripen late.

2 Likes

Nice! My goldrush are also ripening early - over one month ahead. About a third of them have already dropped. Im letting them hang as long as possible but im getting about 3 drops per day. They taste really good even though still mostly green color. Hows the AB flavor? Are you storing most of them long term?

1 Like

I only have a small amount so I don’t plan to store the Arkansas Black. This one was pretty good but not great. Goldrush is always very good tasting to me. Last year most of my GR was dropping a little early but they were still good. This year they are sizing up and as of now they are holding on. The ones that stay on until they turn golden is hard to beat.

3 Likes

IMG_20191001_171646228
Picked my one remaining spur Arkansas Black today. All the rest were hauled off by some hungry critters, I suspect raccoons. Crisp, juicy, dense, not rock hard, sweet, and tasty. Had some interesting flavors that are hard to describe.

2 Likes

Have you found bagging to generally result in earlier ripening for most apples? If so how many days earlier is the ripening?

I think that the bags do cause the fruit to ripen a little earlier.

I have only eaten 2 arkblack grown in cali but they were bought late jan and interesting enough i am attempting it in z5 but no apples to report yet

1 Like