Square radishes/turnips?

Last year I got a radish seedling tape, and they grew very well. However, I did thin them out a lot. Now in 2024, I was thinking if it was possible to make square radishes, like by planting them very closely in a square, then they are kind of molded into a certain shape. What do you think?

2 Likes

Seems possible. The Japanese do it with watermelon but they’re bigger and easier to deal with

1 Like

I guess I could use a square mold and put it underground…

1 Like

once I planted turnips in a concrete block - the one with a smaller hole - and forgot about it. Turnip did grew square… until one day it crashed the block it was growing in…

1 Like

They sell the mold in china. But not for radishes. It would work. Why do you want a square radish?

2 Likes

I guess it would just look cool.

2 Likes

You could market a mold and what’s nice is radishes grow so fast. A really good vegetable to introduce gardening to young kids. Growing in colored “radish boxes” would make a cool kit for beginner gardeners.

1 Like

I did buy these years ago and they really worked! I had zucchini too in these shapes. They were far easier to control above ground.

3 Likes

That’s really cool. Did you buy the molds?

1 Like

For radish you’d need to keep soil out of the mold. If there were soil in the mold, the shape would be distorted or soil/gravel might be pushed into the radish.

2 Likes

Good point Steve, since it’s a root it would be hard to get it to work. Open ended maybe 6 inches long. It has to be in soil it’s a root. the soil hopefully will be pushed up or down.

2 Likes

It would be difficult with radish because its underground, the roots probably get damaged and dirt pressed in.

I grew these in 2015:

3 Likes

You can buy them all on line! They are not for fruits or veggies planted under soil.