Squash 2022

Does anyone have suggestions on good squash varieties that are amenable to train on a strong trellis?

Most smaller squashes are fine to trellis. You will need to put the vines up on the trellis. From my experience butternuts do very well.

3 Likes

A great look! This is not mine. image @ampersand is right. You need to place each vining squashā€¦they will not do this by themselves!

7 Likes

Thank you both! I did grow butternut squash last year up a chain link fence, it didnā€™t grab on itself but I clipped it on and it worked out pretty well. This year I have an arched cattle panel. Seems like most summer squash are bush-types and might not work well for trellising.

Larger squash/pumpkins can be done, but in my experience they have a knack for getting stuck in the openings or breaking the vine when they get big.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen people use pantyhose as a support sling, not sure how well that works.

1 Like

Trombocino is strongly vining and in my experience will grow up and over just about anything. Grow on a strong trellis gives you nice straight, long fruit. Also it is not bothered by stem borers (being a moschata variety) and is resistant to powdery mildew, both of which are real problems in my garden. I donā€™t have space to grow it every year but it was impressive.

5 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation! I read that this can be cooked fresh like summer squash or allowed to mature and stored like winter squash. Did you keep any over winter?

I couldnā€™t help myself and put in some seeds for one more vining squash over the weekend. It is a Seminole squash, but is the Dan Zippleā€™s strain that is supposed to have fruit around 8-9 lbs. I really donā€™t have room so Iā€™ll probably keep cutting the vines back and just try to get a few to try. It is pretty late, but I think there is probably time to get a few.

I grew Seminole several years ago, it will grow ENORMOUS. Lots of pumpkins, but I can understand why (supposedly) the native Americans would grow it up dead trees!

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™m a bit worried it will take over. When I grew South Anna, which is half Seminole and half butternut, they probably got to 25 feet long, although I wound the vines all around between my peppers. Iā€™m going to let these get to about 10-feet and then keep them trimmed after they set the first squahs. Weā€™ll see how that works out.

@LemonDrop I trellis all my winter squash. I started doing it because of a lack of space, but I like the way they grow and how easy it is to check for (and squish) squash bug eggs. I grow African Winter Squash (a very large butternut type), kikuza, yokohama, black futsu, and a variety of others over the years. I use a long trellis of concrete reinforcement wire on t-posts and weave the vines in and out. It is a good idea to make slings for the larger squash if you live in a windy area; use cheap fabric, netting, old pantyhose, etc. I have been able to get huge yields from a very small space.
Very old picture that shows the trellis:

October 2021, end of season, so they looked awful. It was always hard to get a good photo of the set up.

8 Likes

Love your set up Bellatrix! Great to see that you have successfully grown vertically with different types of squash. Appreciate the pictures!

I didnā€™t do any transplanting this year, but in the past Iā€™ve maybe started them 2-3 weeks ahead in Cow Pots.

1 Like

I have a huge pumpkin vine growing out my compost pile. Odd looking immature fruit, I wonder what they will mature into.

5 Likes

Hereā€™s my main squash trellis at my work. Currently has tromboncino, butternut, tetsukabuto, black futsu and some others. Due to squash vine borer I mostly grow moschata types.

5 Likes

Wow, fabulous! I just placed an order for seeds for some fall stuff and added a packet of tromboncino. Out of the moschata types, do you have a favorite?

Autumn Frost is very good, I think Territorial is the source for it. Itā€™s pretty identical to Robinā€™s Koginut Squash.

Consider trying Centercut Tromboncino, I am trying it tonight for the first time and will update.

3 Likes

Excellent, thanks! Look forward to your thoughts on Centercut.

I forgot about Autumn Frost. I grew that a few years ago and it was great. Super productive, one of the best tasting squash Iā€™ve grown and they kept reasonably well, although not as long as some of the full-sized butternut types. The squash is also a good size to grow on a trellis. My only complaint is that the ribs can make it awkward for peeling if you want to peel and cut it up before using.

I think I need to put it back on my list for next year.

2 Likes