Squash 2022

Yes, though the neighbor we got the original seed from said her brother had grown other varieties and they could be crossed, she had grown them and was happy with the food. We bought seed off of Etsy too as we wanted to grow a lot.

Most we grew had the football type shape seen on the seed packages, some had a flat botom and different color. ALL of them are sweet and tasty!

I’m no expert at seed saving, but have been cleaning and drying them as we eat them.

1 Like

@joleneakamama did the seller on Etsy note whether it’s moschata, maxima, or pepo…? Not sure if your neighbor would know. I like the color and shape!

2 Likes

There were no notes. My neighbor just gave us the name Sweet Fall.

1 Like

Those look like c. Maxima because the stems are round and corky

2 Likes

I ordered Sweet Fall seed last spring. Got zero germination. I checked several seeds after that, and all were ‘blanks’. Believe I’ll try again, but may order from a different source.

BTW, it is a C. maxima variety.

Also BTW, last year, I grew North GA Candy Roaster squash… a C. maxima variety… saved seed, as it was the only maxima I grew… got zero germination from my saved seed this spring, and when I checked, all were ‘blanks’ with unfilled kernels/cotyledons.

3 Likes

Bummer! I’ve probably got some to share. We grew some that were sprouting in the squash when we opened it by piutting them in a bag in the fridge. This year I have kept seed from squash used earlier in the year.

2 Likes

@ampersand what did you think of Tetsukabuto?

I planted seeds for Trombocino squash yesterday thanks to this thread! I hope they do well. Also am trying a kabocha squash.

2 Likes

My turban squash came up a week ago

3 Likes