Squirrels & Racoons - Alternative Options?

@SpudDaddy Richard - I too hope you are wrong but you have been right so far! Everything I have tried until now TEST1-6 doesn’t work. The only other options I am left with to test for this year is netting the trees & tree bags. I have done this with 2 trees so far to test. I’ll post back on the results in a month or so… Sooner if I lose to the squirrels before that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In the mean time, here he is plotting his attack on my fruits!!!

4 Likes

BANG! no more squirrel. :wink:

4 Likes

I just happened to see this video,when looking for information about a Peach variety,that was brought up on the forum.
He talks about a possible Squirrel deterrent,using mulch.Has anyone heard of this or is doing it?It seems too simple,but could be working for him.bb

1 Like

I have a neighbor down the street who feeds squirrels peanuts. They bring the peanuts to my backyard, dig holes in the mulch and bury it here. They never dig on the lawn, but love digging up the mulched areas. I am not sure how adding more mulch will help…

2 Likes

What material is your mulch made of?
It looked like the stuff in the video was different materials,like small branches and twigs,along with leaf litter.Maybe something an animal might make a den out of.bb

2 Likes

Yes, your right, the video looks like small branches, twigs, leaves… not bark mulch like mine.

1 Like

Just so you know, I have a Florida King Peach if that is what you were researching. I’ve been extremely happy with it. Here in north middle TN it is super early-usually the first week of June. I won’t pretend its as good as a late season peach, but it is a very, very good peach. I’d call it semi-cling even though most sources call it cling. When very ripe the pit comes loose fairly easy (though not completely cling free). It’s been a fast growing, healthy tree.

3 Likes

Thanks Kevin,I think it was from one of your posts that I first found out about the variety.
There sure are a lot of different ones coming out from the southern Universities.I wonder how they might do in my area.bb

1 Like

That I can’t tell you, of course, but its been a great peach for me. I actually got it at a nursery so unfortunately I don’t know what rootstock it is on-but itd s good tree. It even survived being stampeded by cattle when a neighbor’s cows all got out one day. I was badly broken and even the main trunk had a long vertical crack running almost to the ground. I was certain it was dead and just didn’t get around to removing it. next thing I knew it healed itself up and sent out new growth and became a great tree. ha.

2 Likes

My squirrel trap!!

5 Likes

That’s a weird looking squirrel.

3 Likes

Hey @Girly, I didn’t see aluminum window screen in your list of things to try. I don’t have squirrel problems but remember reading about it here.

You might try plastic berry clamshells also if you have any laying around.

1 Like

Thanks @hoosierbanana!!! I actually saw those on a youtube video and tried it last year.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KQ0RB42/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I used zip ties but the staples in your link looks more neat! It was a lot more work than using bags but did much better at keeping squirrels out than the bags!

2 Likes

Not sure how he made it in the small entrance. Only thing I’ve caught and no squirrels.

1 Like

how to you get the skunks out without being sprayed?

Please look up thread to post #80. You can use the blue line on the right side of the page. Push down on the dark blue line and move it up or down to the post you look for.

1 Like

In the real world all the city ordinances prevents a lot of potential “Bangs” at risk of arrest and having said ‘banger’ confiscated.

But, “Bang” is certainly an option at the farm. Don’t think I’m the sharp-shooter like at age 16 though.

You’re joking, but it looks like there’s a house on the other side of that squirrel. Shooting at it would be dangerous.

1 Like

Of course, and Girly would not kill any animal (harmful or not) in the first place, and hence the joke…