Stan’s harvest diary 2021

Comparing Bavay (on the left in all photos) and Old Green Gage (the classic Reine Claude, on the right in all photos). Differences in color are very subtle and vary with lighting and the degree of ripeness (one of the two Bavays is a bit more ripe than the other). Brix values vary from about 25 to about 30, depending on how ripe a particular specimen is, but on average Old Green Gage has a bit more of both sweetness and acidity.

13 Likes

Bavay is a Reine Claude

This morning’s harvest: a few Emeraude nectarines and a variety of plums:

27 Likes

Beautiful !

1 Like

Howard Miracle season has started. One of the best Asian plums if not the best.

18 Likes

Harvest of Gage (Reine Claude) plums is peaking up. I have been harvesting about a gallon every morning for the last few days. Mostly Bavay, Golden Transparent Gage, and Purple Gage, with a little bit from Old Green Gage, Gras Romanesc, and Reine des Mirabelles.

18 Likes

Jefferson plum. I really like this one, need a bigger graft (the graft I have now is very low on a Bavay tree and does not grow much).

12 Likes

Stan,
I have a graft labeled Jefferson. The fruit are medium size. Will you be able to show me more pics of them, please, esp. in natural light?

Here also some photos from two years ago: Stan's harvest diary 2019 - #50 by Stan

I also have one fruit still on the tree, will take a photo of it tomorrow morning.

Jefferson’s skin color is almost identical to that of Coe’s Golden Drop. Jefferson is a bit smaller in size and has an oval shape, while CGD has a narrower neck which makes it look like a drop. But generally they look very similar.

1 Like

I have Coe’s (if mine is correct). I look forward to see your Jefferson on the tree. Thanks.

@Stan does this look like any of yours? I was told it’s a “transparent green gage”.

3 Likes

It’s definitely a Gage plum but there are so many, it’s difficult to say exactly which one. Old books describe Transparent Gage as “oblate, compressed”, while your fruit is oblong. The Arboreum describes Transparent Gage as “slightly oblong”, so it’s not impossible they introduced and distributed a different variety. There are dozens of similar Gage varieties, so confusing them is easy.

2 Likes

What made you say it’s a definite gage?

It looks like a gage.

2 Likes

Stan,
Are these too round to be the correct Jefferson?

2 Likes

Here are more pics.

1 Like

mamuang,
Those leaves look like Asian Plum,to me.

The fruit looked like Asian plums, too. Unfortunately, I’ve go several mislabeled varieties from trades and from at least one nursery.

Come to think of it, sometimes, the mistakes started from the nurseries sending mislabeled trees to owners who have kindly shared scionwood with others thinking it’s true to labels.

This forum has helped many people including me correctly identify our fruit varieties.

I hope it wasn’t from me.They look like nice Plums,though.

I agree, this looks like an Asian plum or a pluot.

1 Like