Stan’s harvest diary 2021

Beautiful !

1 Like

Howard Miracle season has started. One of the best Asian plums if not the best.

18 Likes

Harvest of Gage (Reine Claude) plums is peaking up. I have been harvesting about a gallon every morning for the last few days. Mostly Bavay, Golden Transparent Gage, and Purple Gage, with a little bit from Old Green Gage, Gras Romanesc, and Reine des Mirabelles.

18 Likes

Jefferson plum. I really like this one, need a bigger graft (the graft I have now is very low on a Bavay tree and does not grow much).

12 Likes

Stan,
I have a graft labeled Jefferson. The fruit are medium size. Will you be able to show me more pics of them, please, esp. in natural light?

Here also some photos from two years ago: Stan's harvest diary 2019 - #50 by Stan

I also have one fruit still on the tree, will take a photo of it tomorrow morning.

Jefferson’s skin color is almost identical to that of Coe’s Golden Drop. Jefferson is a bit smaller in size and has an oval shape, while CGD has a narrower neck which makes it look like a drop. But generally they look very similar.

1 Like

I have Coe’s (if mine is correct). I look forward to see your Jefferson on the tree. Thanks.

@Stan does this look like any of yours? I was told it’s a “transparent green gage”.

3 Likes

It’s definitely a Gage plum but there are so many, it’s difficult to say exactly which one. Old books describe Transparent Gage as “oblate, compressed”, while your fruit is oblong. The Arboreum describes Transparent Gage as “slightly oblong”, so it’s not impossible they introduced and distributed a different variety. There are dozens of similar Gage varieties, so confusing them is easy.

2 Likes

What made you say it’s a definite gage?

It looks like a gage.

2 Likes

Stan,
Are these too round to be the correct Jefferson?

2 Likes

Here are more pics.

1 Like

mamuang,
Those leaves look like Asian Plum,to me.

The fruit looked like Asian plums, too. Unfortunately, I’ve go several mislabeled varieties from trades and from at least one nursery.

Come to think of it, sometimes, the mistakes started from the nurseries sending mislabeled trees to owners who have kindly shared scionwood with others thinking it’s true to labels.

This forum has helped many people including me correctly identify our fruit varieties.

I hope it wasn’t from me.They look like nice Plums,though.

I agree, this looks like an Asian plum or a pluot.

1 Like

Thanks, @Bradybb and @Stan . It could have been that I mixed it up during grafting and mislabeled it. Hope it will have good flavor.

1 Like

I think that wood came from me. My tree came from Trees of Antiquity in 2016, but I’ve never gotten fruit from it. It has been badly affected by black knot and I may end up removing it after this year.

I passed by yesterday and saw one yellow fruit on it. I’ll take a closer look, but I think it was similar to Mamuang’s pic.

Jefferson has always been the first Euro (?) to bloom for me. I think I remember someone else saying they had the same thing happen for them, so I didn’t worry too much about it. But, maybe it was first because it was really an Asian plum in disguise.

I noted the order here. Also of interest is that Keeper’s Nursery (UK) puts Jefferson’s bloom very early.

3 Likes

Bob,
I found this on Orangepippin. Jefferson is considered a gage-like plum, not a real gage.
Gage - Jefferson - tasting notes, identification, reviews.

This year, we have had a lot of rain, maybe, my Jefferson just got fat and lost some of the classic gaga-like shape :joy:

I hope you will pose the pic of your one Jefferson so we can compare.