Stan’s harvest diary 2021

Any fruits from your apricot seedlings yet?

1 Like

Later in the season. Most of them ripen in June.

2 Likes

Stan, I thought the same thing. And also some kind of tannin dry mouth effect. I suspected it would go away if left longer on the tree so I am ready this year with organza bags. Mine aren’t ripe yet in San Diego.

1 Like

Tomcot drops when ripe, so watch for it. Still not high enough brix for me. Great for jam though.

1 Like

That definitely confirms I am picking them too early, I haven’t yet had that happen. Last year we had a Coopers hawk in the yard so the fruit go left alone by the birds for the first time but this year he is gone. Now we are like the aviary section of the zoo. Organza bags have been essential.

2 Likes

Greatly appreciate the variety comparisons Stan. Thank you!

1 Like

Alisa Apricot (W07) — one of the best apricots that came out of a batch of Anya seedlings. Large fruit (about 50% larger than its parent Anya) with exceptional flavor. Wish it was a better producer — this year there are about 25 fruits on a big tree.

17 Likes

They look fabulous!

1 Like

A lot of early ripening breba figs this year. I do not care much for them fresh but they make a fabulous, caramel-flavored jam. Have to add a few lemons for acidity.

14 Likes

Did Turkey Apricot produce for you or not yet? I am interested in feedback about this variety.

Waiting for it to ripen any day now, seems to be pretty close. But there are only 5-7 fruits on the tree.

1 Like

Spark’s Mammoth Apricot — very large fruit, juicy, excellent flavor (one of the best among apricots in the European group). Unfortunately, it’s a weak fruit setter.

18 Likes

I am very excited about Sparks Mammoth. Looks like some of my grafts have taken, so hopefully in a couple of years I will have some of my own!

4 Likes

Moniqui white apricots. Love white apricots, they have a unique flavor.

16 Likes

Stan, do you detect much difference from one variety of white apricot to another? Do any stand out as unique?

Moniqui, Lasgerdi Mashhad, and Afghanistan are all very similar to each other. I would not be able to distinguish the fruit in a blind taste test, but the trees differ in bloom and ripening times. Supkhani and Turkey are a different type (and similar to each other). They are more meaty and flavor-wise I like them much less for fresh eating, they pretty much have just one sweet note. Supkhani is great for drying, it develops additional interesting flavors when dried, and I would expect that Turkey should be like that but have not tried it dried yet.

4 Likes

I had a couple of Turkey apricots, and didn’t like them very much. Very sweet but that’s it, no interesting flavors. Turkey is very similar in texture and flavor to Supkhani, which is mostly used for drying. Supkhani is not great for fresh eating (single note sweet) but develops interesting flavors when dried. I suspect that Turkey should be very similar.

3 Likes

Thanks Stan!

1 Like

Opal plums, the first of European plums (along with July Green Gage) to ripen. Flavor is mild but very pleasant.

Catherine Bunnell plums (a Luther Burbank selection, has been considered a lost variety for a while). A nice early Asian plum, flavor is a bit reminiscent of Santa Rosa, but the fruit size is smaller.

A Howard Miracle plum tree, I expect these plums to start ripening in a couple of weeks. One of the best, if not the best, of Asian plums flavor wise. They continue ripening from late June to mid-late September.

17 Likes

Have done a bit of apricot tasting today. Left: Ram Roc, Top: Afghanistan, Bottom: Harcot, Right: Spark’s Mammoth.

A fully ripe Spark’s Mammoth is absolutely fabulous, what an exquisite flavor! Afghanistan is also excellent, delicate and juicy with melon and tropical fruit notes. Ram Roc is very sweet, but not as rich in flavor as the first two. Harcot is a beautiful fruit, large and nicely colored, but it is subpar flavor wise.

18 Likes