Stan's harvest diary 2019

I’m in California, and most apricot varieties do very well in my climate.

I have googled an Italian paper that mentions the Orangecot variety, but I strongly doubt that this is what’s sold in supermarkets in the US under the Orangecot name. Most likely it’s a trade name invented by the marketer for something else.

5 Likes

Yeah I am quite interested in apricots (have about 20 varieties myself) and hardly heard about this one.
Check out some interesting new varieties in Europe (not tastewise, there are better ones than these)
“Donut” apricot -Piano cot

Vanilla Cot
Farbela
Red ones (I know about 10 different varieties all came out in the last 5 or so years) This is Cyrano
Apricot harvesting window also increased greatly, you can eat fresh apricots in my zone 7A/B from beginning of June till the end of October.

16 Likes

I just ate both Emeraude and Arctic Jay in my lunch today, and I like both (I don’t have my refracrometer with me, but based on experience, AJ was probably a couple of points above 20 brix and Emeraude 18-20 brix). While Emeraude has a stronger flavor that I like, AJ taste is dominated by sweetness. Both are winners for me, but I rate Emeraude a hair above AJ (Arctic Star and Zephyr are both superior to these two).

5 Likes

@Paul What are the best European cots, taste-wise, in your opinion? And do you live in Europe? And where?

2 Likes

Hi Ahmad, there are so many apricots, it’s really hard to say. I like Magic Cot, Kuresia, Bergeval. This year I tasted Aprisweet for the first time, what an amazing cot. I will try to post some pictures next year, you will be impressed. Unfortunately none of those are available in US.
Yes I am from Europe/Czech but lived in US for quite some time, that’s why I hang around :slight_smile:

8 Likes

@Stan, do you have a recent photo of your Noir of Spain mulberry tree? I’d like to see how fast it grows for a 2-3 year old tree.

1 Like

how different is Emerald Drop compared to Emerald Beaut?

2 Likes

@californicus, IMO, Emerald Drop is much more complex and flavorful. I am not a big fan of EB, but they dry up really nice!

3 Likes

@Stan Haven’t heard from you in a while… Any new worthy entries for your diary?

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, apricots are my favorite fruit! And it is hard to get decent ones here. Makes me happy to see they are being loved and developed in Europe!

3 Likes

Too much work and travel.:sweat::tired_face:

I had a bumper crop of Golden Russet apples this year, but most of them got overripe while I was busy and then traveling for two weeks.

At the moment, it’s mostly pomegranates, they’re splitting like crazy thus year. Need to start harvesting olives…

3 Likes

Sorry for a long delay, just took the photos today. The leaves already look autumny.

Two Noir of Spain trees, planted Nov 2016 as tiny plants from 1-gal pots. One is 5+ ft now, the other just under 5 ft.

Another Noir of Spain and Black Beauty grafted Apr 2018 on very vigorous M. alba rootstocks. They’re smaller, probably 3 and 4 ft.

7 Likes

I’ve praised Howard Miracle plums on this forum many times. This photo is from mid-August, but their season still goes on.

16 Likes

great, thanks. Did you get your 2016 Noir of Spain trees from Whitman farms? I just got one too and it seems that the variety is grafted onto a Morus Alba rootstock. If this is the growth in 3 years, I guess the root system shouldn’t be too invasive.

2 Likes

I’m still waiting for fruit on a few grafts and didn’t know they turned so dark.bb

3 Likes

Yes, I bought these trees from Whitman farms and they’re grafted on M. alba rootstocks (likely random M. alba seedlings). Be vigilant about removing possible growth from the rootstock, it can grow very fast.

Hey Stan I can see why your brix are so high. To me those nigra trees look brutally dry. Could I be wrong? How much/often are they being watered?

How much do you water your other fruit trees?

4 Likes

No, I don’t think these trees are water-stressed, the foliage has just started to change for the fall. They looked fine during the peak heat in July and August. Trees of other species (e.g., apricots, apples, and pears) nearby and on the same irrigation schedule still look lush. For some species foliage just changes earlier than for others.

As you can see on the photos, the trees are on drip irrigation, two 2-gal/hr drippers per tree, watered for 1.5 hours four times a week (i.e., 24 gallons of water per tree per week). Some larger trees have three drippers instead of two.

6 Likes

FWIW, the 1G tree I just bought is changing its leaf color too. I thought I accidentally killed it as the Pakistan Mulberry in the ground still has lush leaves. After seeing Stan’s pics, it may be a characteristic of this variety.

1 Like

My Nigra in a greenhouse looks just like it did all summer. No droppy leaves and no change in color.

2 Likes