Stan's harvest diary 2019

What are night temps in your greenhouse? We already had night lows in mid-50s here.

1 Like

We’re running upper 50s to low 60s the last two weeks. Upper 80s for highs. Not really much different than most low elevations in CA. I don’t know but to me those trees look dry. Maybe it’s the droopy leaves that make them look dry. If they were really dry they’d be dropping leaves.

2 Likes

Please remember I’ve been pushing deficit irrigation for 15 yrs. Based on the fruit you’re growing you have the water just right. For most trees if they aren’t dropping leaves they aren’t too dry.

3 Likes

hi Stan can you tell me how does noir de spain mulberry taste like compared to other mulberries?

1 Like

I don’t detect any difference in fruit characteristics between M. nigra cultivars.

Upd. Please also see the flavor discussion higher in this thread.

3 Likes

Compared to your common mulberries the Nigra are much higher in flavor and sweeter.

2 Likes

@Stan, did you plant a Bavay tree or grafted one on an existing tree? If its the former, how long did it take to produce fruit? I am thinking of experimenting with this variety in my low-chill coastal area. I just wanted to check how long I should wait, until I definitively know it won’t produce here.

Good to know, thanks.

The Bavay tree was from Arboreum, on Myro 29C rootstock, planted in spring 2016, first produced in 2019. Some trees bear a few fruits in first or second season and then gradually gear up, but this tree did not produce anything for first three seasons and then produced a bumper crop at once.

3 Likes

Is this the same as the DWN’s Bavay green gage? Green Gage (Bavay's) European Plum | Dave Wilson Nursery

I don’t have the DWN’s version. In theory, should be the same…

1 Like

A bowl of pomegranates a day keeps the doctor away. :wink:

18 Likes

those look so much better than the ones we get up here. much darker. would love me some tree ripened poms.!

Depends on variety, some have light colored arils but still are excellent. This is Wonderful, the standard variety sold in retail, it really benefits from being as ripe as possible, but commercially it is harvested underripe and with lighter arils.

I thought, I was the only one who had the obsession of removing every small white pith from all the arils :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I stumbled across this slideshow with photos and descriptions in French. My French is poor, but I can make out much of what is in print. Just don’t ask me to translate.

Some great photos of Euro plums. I hope the link lasts a bit.

2 Likes

When was this ready? My Feng Bao looks different and the fruits were ready on June 29, 2020

Jul 8 - Jul 17 in 2019. This year these grafts have no fruit.

1 Like

@Stan Would you say any of these gages are cloying sweet? Which one is sweet but with interesting complex flavor?

In my opinion, neither is just sweet, all of them have a complex flavor in addition to sweetness. Some have a bit milder flavor and some more intense and nuances of the flavor vary a bit, but all are very good to excellent. Having said that, each person’s taste buds are unique.

2 Likes