Stark Bros 18.16 sale for Earth Day

The trees may be more basic but I thought that pricing looked pretty good. $18.16 for select varieties and shipping was roughly a base of $7 with a dollar more per tree. I’m going to try a couple Euro pears (Seckel and Moonglow as they said they were fireblight resistant) and a Montmorcy cherry tree. Hope this helps!

3 Likes

You should read the threads on here about Moonglow.

1 Like

Moonglow is from 1960 and is an obsolete pear given Potomac (daughter of Moonglow) is available (same or better resistance and much better taste, easier to tell when to pick); Moonglow is notoriously hard to pick correctly when mature, can have a bitter aftertaste. its chief attribute is it is a “good pollenizer” but causes a lot of headaches

You can always graft over it for $25 - that is a good deal for a larger euro pear

potomac

1 Like

Wow, thanks for these details! I’ve been trying to use the Oklahoma State extension guide for recommended varieties as the climate and conditions are harsher than I expected. Potomac wasn’t mentioned but Moonglow was on the list. Really surprised that Stark’s nursery doesn’t have Potomac as a variety!

I thought the price with the one year warranty was a good choice—but you are right if it passes maybe it will be my opportunity to learn about grafting.

1 Like

Notoriously hard to ripen as well. I grafted over the moonglow trees I had.